Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

burnt out

burnt out

Date: Jun 06 2002

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I was burnt out on the whole scenario.”
- Sheryl Crow, singer and musician, talking about recording music.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

tired of, sick of, fed up with, had enough of

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Burnt out” can be used in two different ways. They’re similar, but subtly different. The first way to use burnt out is to describe something you’re tired of. For example, if you’ve been eating rice every night for dinner, and you’re tired of rice. You don’t want to eat any more rice. You’re sick of rice. Then you could say that you’re “burnt out on rice.” Or, if you dislike your job and you’re bored with it, you could say that you’re “burnt out on work.” You’re not necessarily exhausted, you’re just tired of doing the same thing again and again.
The second way to use “burnt out” is to describe how tired you are. For example, if you’ve been studying all day and all night for a test and you have no energy left, you could say that you’re “completely burnt out.” You’re too exhausted to do anything. Even if you’re friend asked you to go to a party, you probably wouldn’t go because you just don’t have the energy.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””I hate fish! My mom makes fish for dinner every night and I’m sick of it. I don’t understand why we can’t have chicken. I’m so burnt out on fish. I’m not eating it ever again!”“

””I’m burnt out on action movies. I’ve seen so many of them lately. I want to see a comedy instead.”“

””I’m totally burnt out on math class. It’s so boring. I can’t wait until graduation so I never have to study math again!”“

””Dude, I don’t think I can make it to the movie tonight. I’m totally burnt out. I need to stay home and get some rest.”“

””My mom is burnt out right now. She’s had a difficult week at work and she’s really tired. I don’t think I want to ask her for anything. I’ll wait until she’s in a better mood.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

I think “burnt out” means to work too hard until you’re really exhausted to be able to do anything else.
by Dana (Dubai)
To be “burnt out” means to be exhausted, tired out
by Alfonso (Granada, Spain)
I think burnt-out means exhausted, worn-out, used up, consumed entirely.
by Jozef (Denderleeuw, Belgium)
I’m writing to you to express what burnt out means. Mainly it means that she was really fed up with everything on the scenario, she was really stressed and she couldn’t stand that situation any more.
by Guapinoni
I think that burnt out is when a person is tired of so much work, when someone works a lot and become burnt out.
by Douglas (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
I think “burn out” means “make exhausted, especially as a result of long-time stress”
by Castor (Tsingdao, China)
I guess “burnt out” means “feel exhausted”. Am I right?
by Effie (Shanghai, China)
Dosen’t that mean really really tired for example, “I burnt out from studying so hard for mid term.”
by Hiroaki
I guess “burnt out” means a person very consentrate on doing one thing, and he/she never gives up until the thing has been done successfully. Doing this thing, he/she doesn’t spend time doing other things.
by Stella

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

jonfun

United Kingdom

I am ‘burnt out’ trying to access the chat roomFrown

10:07 AM Jun 05 2016 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace