Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift

Date: Sep 07 2009

Themes: Music

Grammar: Be Able To

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Teenagers don’t have a very good reputation. They’re often accused of being ignorant, immature, or selfish. And, according to most adults, teen pop stars are even worse. Their lyrics are shallow and their music is over-produced and over-hyped.

Taylor Swift might be breaking that mold. The eighteen-year-old country music singer has gotten a lot of positive attention for her debut album, Taylor Swift. She writes her own songs, and her lyrics are pretty thoughtful. She’s also been praised for her ability to cross genres. Find out what Jason and Ella think about her.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Ella

Ella

Jason

Jason

Ella:  Taylor Swift is overrated.

Jason:  I don’t think so at all. I think she’s the one country artist who might be able to break global mainstream.

Ella:  What? Her lyrics are so generic, and there’s no soul in it, you know?

Jason:  I don’t know, I think she’s a good songwriter. It seems like she’s more in touch with herself than a lot of grown-ups, you know?

Ella:  I mean, I guess she’s America’s Sweetheart, but there’s gotta be something bad about her, you know? There’s just nothing out there in the public to…

Jason:  Oh definitely. She’ll definitely have an epic, public fall from grace at some point.

Ella:  I’m excited for that.

Jason:  But before then, I think she might, you know…she might go global. She’s dated one of the Jonas Brothers. They wrote songs about each other. That’s pretty interesting.

Ella; It’s pretty intense for teenagers and such.

Jason:  Yeah.

Ella:  I don’t know, I’m just not impressed by the music. I mean, it’s cool that she can go country and pop and rock, but…It just doesn’t seem very heartfelt.

Jason:  But I think it’s time. I think the world’s ready for a country star.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Be Able To" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Ella doesn’t like Taylor Swift and can’t understand why her album has gotten good reviews. She finds her lyrics boring and typical. She can’t connect emotionally with Taylor’s songs.

Jason disagrees. He thinks Taylor’s lyrics are good. She seems to be in touch with herself. She writes about her true feelings and experiences, including her relationship with one of the Jonas Brothers.

Country music isn’t very popular outside of the US. But Jason thinks Taylor Swift might be the artist to change that. He thinks her music might be able to go global. Ella is more skeptical. She can’t wait to see Taylor Swift lose her perfect image.

Do you think country music will ever go global? Why do teenagers and teen musicians have such a bad reputation?

Comments

homajeraqu

South Georgia

Her fans will get lots of enjoyment with watch of this share that brings some new collection for them in fine quality. Many people earn money with work as cv writer online after learning of professional writing skills.

08:31 AM Jan 04 2018 |

Anika_Icecream

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

And sth else !! she is beauty and I admit it but guys beauty is not everything.

With all of her beauties a boy left her like a junk 

04:28 PM Jul 27 2015 |

Anika_Icecream

I knew u ere trouble ? Yes that’s a nice song. 

But are u kidding me??? If knew that why u made a relationship ?! Ha? images/smilies/a54d65a.gif

I also hate proud girls and those one say “shake” but can’t even dance  

04:25 PM Jul 27 2015 |

1 person likes this

Anika_Icecream

you know, I hate those girls who just do everything to just a boy gives them an atention

and first hook up with them and when the boy left her , that girl starts to sing for him and

say some bad words to a boy that threw her out such as junk.

I hate those girls who kill temselves beacuse of a boy !! When that boy never care of the girl!!

I hate poor girls.

04:20 PM Jul 27 2015 |

dearsara

dearsara

i love her so much, she is my favorit singer,all of her songs are perfect but red is the best :-)

06:01 PM Nov 25 2014 |

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

Many people think country music identical with old people or from old generation, I think the same but after listen Taylor’s song or Miranda’s song I feel its wrong cos their songs really cool and easy to be understand and feel. I love Taylor Swift cos in her young age she can prove that she can bcome success with her talent but still low profile.

03:55 PM Nov 24 2014 |

abhiverma23

India

She is one of the best singer I love to listen her song, the first song of her I heard was LOVE STORY in my friend’s home and suddenly I just fall in love with her, but not now, but still love her song.

11:16 AM Nov 24 2014 |

Mc.Camilla

Mc.Camilla

United States

we r never ever getting back together

03:04 AM Oct 16 2013 |

neginb

neginb

i love Taylor swift

10:28 PM Oct 15 2013 |

Wichitra

Wichitra

United States

Taylor Swift is my favorite singer. Her first song that I heard was “Our Song” and I can say that I love most of her songs. I’m so impressed after I read her story. She knew what she wanted to be, she went for it and never lost her intention.  She’s really a down-to-earth person! I also love the fact that she can write the song in anytime at any place and in just a short time! Very talented! I just went to her concert 2 months ago and she’s really amazing. She’s the inspiration for me to start to do something. I always think about her. Thanks Taylor, I love you <3 <3

08:57 PM Sep 14 2013 |

mahdie66

mahdie66

good

08:13 AM Jul 11 2013 |

Manouchehr313

I love you   

07:56 PM May 25 2013 |

CyrilCui

CyrilCui

China

I think country music has begun to go global.There are so many famous country stars,such as Taylor Swift,Lady Antebellum,The Band Perry and Carrie Underwood,etc.And Taylor is the foreign female singer who has the most fans in China.So many chinese teenagers love her so much.The first song of hers I listened to is Love Story and at that time I was a high school student.

Even though Taylor has a good talent and nice voice,her private life is terrible.I hear that she has a habit that she will create a song for her ex-boyfriend after breaking up,and you can find that she has so many ex-boyfriends before.As a teen musician she leave to others a bad impression and then has a bad reputation.

04:03 PM May 02 2013 |

princessanika

i hate u sooooooooooooooo much.

hey Taylor u are not good for Harry…............

u are better for Justin:)

02:09 PM May 02 2013 |

KelvinPhillbert

China

i like Taylor Swift the first time when i listened to her music named you belong with me, she looks fresh, i just like this kind of girls. 

01:22 PM Mar 03 2013 |

1 person likes this

Nafas75

Nafas75

yes she is beauty but not very much,i don’t know why u think she is different!!!

she is just nice,the most beauty girl in all the wrld?Hilary Duff is better than her!!!

09:28 AM Jan 02 2013 |

KardelenF

KardelenF

Turkey

Taylor Swift is very very beautiful girl and I love she.She is make great songs.For example,you beloning with me,mine,back to december,love story as.In fact I am not like listen country music.But Taylor’s song great!

04:32 PM Dec 01 2011 |

Simon terminator

India

Taylor Swift is a good singer and she is talented too her songs r just owesome and romantic. She deserve to be at the top. Even she have proved it by wining 3 AMA award of 2011. And TS Happy Birth Day. I Just Luv Her

02:54 PM Dec 01 2011 |

Ashleyvn

Viet Nam

TS is just like a friend, a soulmate to me!!! Everything she writes and sings is just so beautiful and so close to my thinkings, my situations, my dreams, and my life. I’m thankful for her music. Go TS!

09:13 AM Aug 19 2011 |

khulidy

khulidy

Yemen

she is very hot and her song wonderful

07:00 AM Apr 04 2011 |

Likes (67):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace