Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Baby Shower!

Baby Shower!

Date: May 18 2007

Themes: Family, Party

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It either sounds great or terrifying. A couple of dozen women gather to play games, shout and laugh over tiny shoes and hats. It’s called a baby shower and it is an American tradition that is also spreading to other cultures. All the female friends of an expectant mother get together to celebrate her pregnancy. They bring gifts for the baby.

Does that sound like fun? It doesn’t to Marni. Amanda is planning an unusual baby shower. Listen to her convince Marni to come.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amanda

Amanda

Marni

Marni

Amanda:  So I am so excited that I get to host…a baby shower at my house this weekend.

Marni:  Really?

Amanda:  Are you available?

Marni:  I have to be honest. I’m just not a fan of baby showers.

Amanda:  What!?

Marni:  I mean if it’s somebody I really care about, but just the general, the cultural…

Amanda:  Well, it’s me.

Marni:  Well…of course I’d come to your baby shower.

Amanda:  Okay, great.

Marni:  But I’m sorry, I just…the whole tradition of the baby shower…Ladies getting together, putting candy bars in diapers, it’s just…

Amanda:  But here’s the thing. We’re being progressive and current about it, so it’s a couple’s shower.

Marni:  Really?

Amanda:  Your boyfriend, husband, lover, whatever…invited.

Marni:  Well…

Amanda:  We’re gonna have the game on in one room, and then we’re gonna have our little, like you said, candy bars in the diaper games and mimosas in the other room.

Marni:  Okay, well, if there’s mimosas I’ll consider coming.

Amanda:  You know what, it’s so full of joy and you get spend what? $100 on a gift. Why wouldn’t you want to come?

Marni:  Well, I mean I think that’s part of the culture. It’s this baby and you’re just…it’s this given that you have to shell out all this money for this baby gift, and, really, it’s a baby and they’re gonna grow out of their cute little outfit in a matter of months.

Amanda:  Okay, if you had a choice this weekend, wedding shower or baby shower?

Marni:  I’d probably go to the movies.

Amanda:  Huh.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda says she is excited to be hosting a baby shower. Marni says she doesn’t like baby showers. But when she realizes the shower is for Amanda, she says she’ll come.

Amanda tells Marni that the shower will be unusual because men will be allowed to come. She will also serve alcohol. Marni likes that idea.

Then Amanda reminds Marni that guests bring gifts to baby showers. Marni explains that she thinks that gifts for a baby are pointless.

At the end of the dialogue, Amanda asks if Marni if she likes wedding showers, a party for a bride to be, more than baby showers. Marni implies that she doesn’t like either when she says she’d rather go to the movies.

Have you ever been to a baby shower? What did you think of it? Are there parties for expectant mothers where you live?

Comments

Nakashima

Japan

I was surprised at Marni`s last choice ,because she told Amanda “I`d come to your baby shower.”

I didn`t know baby shower is celebration for dozen women.

I thought that baby shower is celebration for babies.

I didn`t know why do they need mimosas.

06:16 AM May 16 2020 |

Nakashima

Japan

I was surprised at Marni`s last choice ,because she told Amanda “I`d come to your baby shower.”

I didn`t know baby shower is celebration for dozen women.

I thought that baby shower is celebration for babies.

I didn`t know why do they need mimosas.

06:16 AM May 16 2020 |

susanblack13

Bahrain

This is a beautiful stage enjoy it to the fullest I recommend you visit https://newbornbaby.win/ Greetings dear

09:10 PM Jan 05 2018 |

Drmahsa1995

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

yeppp my nieces  baby shower …. its a good idea to celebrate for new babyes… this party was in dutchland in my sistres house…:)

08:48 PM Aug 23 2013 |

Madline

Madline

Jordan

ya of course but the diffirent between the party that I went and the shower baby is the names ,,, I have been to a baby shower and its one of the most amazing parties and I also like wedding shower 4 me its more amazin than baby shower :)

08:12 AM Aug 12 2011 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Amanda is inviting Marni`s  male friends ….. I can imagine the poor guys  in the middle of all these girls , instead of going to the stadium  or a car show , having to put up  with  their chitchat about babies  and diapers.  Men, don´t accept any of this invitations. 

09:37 PM May 07 2011 |

sabynette22

Algeria

in my country after the baby’s birth we throw a big party we invite relatives,freinds and so on to celebrate this event we serve drinks, cakes and at the end of this” party” there’s dinner…kinda coolWink

07:51 PM May 07 2011 |

pink angel

pink angel

Saudi Arabia

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS WONDERFUL TOPIC

I LIKED THESE PARTIES FOR THE BABYIES , I SAW THEM IN TE MOVIES

BUT UNFORTUNATELY WE NEVER DID IT HERE BEFORE THE BABY BORN

WE USUALLY DO IT AFTER THE BABY BORN

08:43 AM Aug 03 2008 |

SampekEngtai

Indonesia

Well, it’s a pretty good idea. However, I’ve never heard that males are allowed to come..

06:07 AM Nov 05 2007 |

jessy50

jessy50

United States

Hi,
As new brand day have come, I give God all the glory and I return all the praises to him, Where there is life , there is hope. No dream is gone  untill death cometh.
I must confess that it is with great joy and enthusiasm that I am writing you this mail which I
know and believes by faith that it must surely find you in good condition of health.
My name is Jenny Antia A 25 years lady working and living comfortably in my home country United States of American. One is not bound to have all the joys in live. You may have everything in life but there are still those things which one may needed that seems
very common to others and yet it kepts on giving  hard times.Everyone has his or her own share of pains to bear in life. I've got mine and you've got yours.But  we need to lean on each other to keep life smooth going.
You may be financially aright, physically and you may be lacking on the emotional side of  it. I am working and what I am getting monthly is keeping me fine but I
am lacking the right man in my life, someone to hold on , someone to lean on,  someone who could be there for me all the time,  Someone to share fun with, bad times and good times, trial times, Celebration times, rainny and sunny times of life.
I need an honest man, trust worthy and God fearing man. Why don,t we give ourselves a trial on penpal relationship and see what the future holds for us.
If you really wants to know more about me and my family back ground, you should reply my mail. I am looking forward to having you as my dream man.
I will be lookng forward to hear from you soonest about your self. For frequent communications you can always reach me on my  e-mail  address

Thanks
      Jenny Antia.

752 Sturgis Rd,
    United States

10:24 AM May 21 2007 |

adi9

adi9

Slovakia

i think it´s very cute..:))Tongue out

07:47 AM May 21 2007 |

badawy

Egypt

wedding shower

09:52 PM May 20 2007 |

Blue-Smile

Blue-Smile

Switzerland

We don’t have this tradition in our country …

05:22 PM May 20 2007 |

lxlylme

lxlylme

China

getting to learn new things every day !!

03:02 PM May 20 2007 |

peacockblue

China

Many expectant mother get together,talk about their coming babies excitedly,blissfullyv…Smile

01:30 PM May 20 2007 |

Maystro

Maystro

Saudi Arabia

I don`t no any thing a bout this ?Cry

09:59 AM May 20 2007 |

somaliland

somaliland

Somalia

In my country an expected women have same celebration, but it doesnot call baby shower,it has another name(Tarrare). it great to see one my poeple custome in other country.

06:48 AM May 20 2007 |

qoo_toy

qoo_toy

Japan

Baby Shower and Wedding Shower are very nice. Since both of them are so suspecious thing, to celebrate by close people is so wonderfulLaughing My country have no the custom. However, we usually do some gathering in order to celebrate familier friends.

01:24 AM May 20 2007 |

witch84

witch84

Malaysia

We have it after the baby born. I think both of it are sweet, before or after, it is full of happiness, but put a candy bar into diaper is fresh to me, does it have any meaning on it? I would like to try to attend a baby shower next time~ of cos,not just for those game. =P

12:52 AM May 20 2007 |

sweetlinyao

China

That will be very interesting and wondful for expectant mothers !

07:02 PM May 19 2007 |

Likes (88):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast