Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Allergies

Allergies English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Aug 07 2007

Themes: Health

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Bless you! Goodness, your eyes are red and glossy, and you sure look sleepy. Oh, it’s that time of year, isn’t it? I haven’t seen the pollen counts, but I’m sure they’re up there. I’m so glad I don’t have seasonal allergies. You look like a mess!

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Beren

Beren

Kevin:  Achoo!

Beren:  Are you okay?

Kevin:  Um, yeah, I’m okay. You know, I don’t have allergies but sometimes I wonder if I do. Like in the morning, I’ll wake up and my nose will run and run and run and then it won’t go away.

Beren:  Scratchy throat?

Kevin:  No.

Beren:  No scratchy throat?

Kevin:  No.

Beren:  Do you ever feel like you might be getting a cold and then nothing happens?

Kevin:  From time to time but seldom.

Beren:  That’s allergies. That’s like hay fever.

Kevin:  Really?

Beren:  Yeah, I’m serious. It’s not good.

Kevin:  So are you an allergy expert, do you have them?

Beren:  I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but I do have crazy allergies. Mostly like grasses, I just get really bad hay fever.

Kevin:  Oh that stinks.

Beren:  Yeah it totally sucks.

Kevin:  What do you take for that?

Beren:  Um, right now I’m taking Benadryl. I’ve taken Flonase, which is this awesome nasal spray. It kind of burns but it also feels kinda neat.

Kevin:  With the bee on the commercials?

Beren:  Is that the Flonase commercial?

Kevin:  I think so, like the bumble bee.

Beren:  Maybe. I’ve taken Claritin, lots of prescription strength stuff. I’m working on weaning myself off that and going all natural.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kevin sneezes and then tells Beren that sometimes he thinks he has allergies. Sometimes he wakes up in the morning with a runny nose. Beren asks if his throat feels funny and he says no. Although occasionally he feels like he might be getting sick even when he’s not. Beren says that that’s hay fever.

Kevin asks Beren how she knows so much about allergies. She’s not an expert exactly, but she says her allergies are pretty bad. She lists a series of prescription drugs she has tried to alleviate them. She says she’s trying to transition from the drugs to natural medicine.

Comments

mandzhi

mandzhi

Russian Federation

I have allergies to dust. It’s usually sneezing and nose is running. But this summer i was in USA and i had allergy everyday, it was terrible condition, i had suffocating cough and running nose, i can’t live without anti allergic pills. I think it also can be from dust, because i had allergy only inside the house.

08:31 AM Aug 01 2015 |

meaw-meaw

meaw-meaw

Thailand

When I have a prawn so I have a headache , eyesache  always. So that it is my stinks coz it is delicious but i cant eat it a lot. But I dont know that is allergies? ...And I will get better after have a prescription strength and go to sleep.

03:53 PM Jul 23 2012 |

Leon_id

Leon_idSuper Member!

Russian Federation

I remember my forearms going itchy after eating too much sweets when I was a little kid. The most unpleasant thing about it was that scractching wouldn't give me any relief. Luckily, it's not the problem any more but I really have a sweet tooth. 

04:09 AM Apr 23 2011 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

now i am still a medical college student,so i have a deeper understand about allergies, there are enormous kinds of allergies around us,especially for the weak guys, for example the pollen ,the dust,some kinds of protein,even the glucose and stuff.

totally,keep in exercising is good for everybody!

02:06 PM May 24 2010 |

the greatest

Algeria

yeah hay fever, it really really sucks, i've the same probleme and i think also that's incurable…i've try so many prescriptions for 0 result

02:31 PM Nov 19 2007 |

ssjoud

Lebanon

I had an allergie few years ago but i treat it, now i'm okay, realy it's stinky and more than that you don't know when it comes.

12:06 PM Nov 19 2007 |

Hyeon Ju Bang

South Korea

Aah, that's very useful :) thanks for good expressions like time to time, weaning off, etc

07:07 AM Nov 08 2007 |

rlstudio

rlstudio

China

oh, no.  i kindda have the same problem as Kevin. Whenever I get a little cold, i would have runny nose for one or two days and then nothing like getting a cold happens..

12:27 AM Oct 21 2007 |

vivi bulat

Romania

It is something which is not relating to allergy…and the rocks does not belong to allergy.

So I did understand…

01:32 AM Sep 20 2007 |

shanie

shanie

China

i got evening allergy ..Embarassed

10:13 PM Sep 19 2007 |

_SMYRNA_

_SMYRNA_

Turkey

I have morning allergy:(

10:13 PM Sep 13 2007 |

starfighteradara

Philippines

I'm prone to allergic rhinitis (sneezing) as well and my doctor recommended using a saline solution spray, kind of what moms use on babies with clogged noses. The brand I'm familiar with is Salinase. A saline solution works well enough and it doesn't have any side effects as it's just water and salt. 

01:49 AM Sep 08 2007 |

seleh

seleh

Iraq

thank you candy lady

06:37 AM Aug 30 2007 |

thejubilem

Turkey

I SNEEZE VERY OFTEN THAT'S VERY BAD

10:56 AM Aug 10 2007 |

lazystudent

Turkey

ı have  allergy to girls who don t answer 

04:20 AM Aug 08 2007 |

seleh

seleh

Iraq

anyone can help me to understand the question in quiz:

it says: "Which does not belong?" what does it mean? 

03:41 AM Aug 08 2007 |

fjface

fjface

China

i have the same problem.

01:54 PM Aug 07 2007 |

explorer143

Pakistan

Informational topic, like it!

07:29 AM Aug 07 2007 |

explorer143

Pakistan

Oh, Thats problem with my younger brother, he has crazy allergy with grasses, or in the season when Maize cut, and he fell into fever.

07:22 AM Aug 07 2007 |

alimcan

Turkey

06:16 AM Aug 07 2007 |

Likes (84):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend