Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Chris Brown
Chris Brown

Past Perfect Tense

Date: May 16 2011

Themes: Music

Grammar: Past Perfect Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone makes mistakes. But when celebrities mess up, the whole world hears about it.

Chris Brown made a huge mistake when he beat up his girlfriend at the time, Rihanna. And some people think he shouldn’t be forgiven for that. But many of Chris Brown’s fans have stuck by him. They think he deserves a second chance.

Now Brown has a new album out, F.A.M.E., which stands for “Fans Are My Everything.” He is thanking his fans for being loyal to him despite his faults. Find out if Jason and Marni are ready to forgive Chris Brown.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  So, I am kind of surprised that Chris Brown’s new album has debuted at number one.

Jason:  Yeah. It seems like he kind of got a clean slate after he cried on stage during the Michael Jackson tribute show.

Marni:  Yeah. Now I’m a little skeptical that he was really showing his true emotions, or if he was sort of putting on an act so people would think that he was a little more sensitive.

Jason:  Oh wow!

Marni:  I know! Isn’t that…

Jason:  It hadn’t even occurred to me that he would cry on purpose.

Marni:  Yeah, you know, I just feel like he got such a bad rap, and I think deservedly so, for what happened between he and Rihanna. And now, you know, he’s trying to rebuild his career and rebuild his life. And I do believe in second chances, so I hope that he has put his past behind him and he’s able to redeem himself and really have a prolific career.

Jason:  I mean, he’s so young. He was like 19 when that domestic violence incident went down. And now he’s 21, which is still so young.

Marni:  Right. It’s very young.

Jason:  I think he…I mean, I’m not a huge fan of his, but I could see why some people stuck by him. I don’t think he’s reached his full potential yet. And he has really good dance moves.

Marni:  Sure, yeah.

Jason:  Are you a fan of second chances in general.

Marni:  I am, I am a believer in second chances. Sometimes I think it’s hard due to circumstances, in this instance being domestic violence. But I think that stems from history, and if he went through therapy...People do deserve a second chance.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Perfect Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is surprised that Chris Brown’s new album, F.A.M.E., is so popular. It seems like he’s been given a second chance after he abused Rihanna and nearly ruined his career two years ago.

Jason isn’t a huge fan of Chris Brown, but he can understand why fans gave him a second chance. Jason thinks Brown was very young when he made his big mistake. Maybe he is more mature now.

Marni is more skeptical. She thinks Chris Brown wants the world to think he’s more sensitive than he really is. But she does believe in second chances. She thinks that Chris Brown should go through therapy because of what he did to Rihanna.

Do you think it is time to forgive Chris Brown for abusing Rihanna? When was the last time you gave someone a second chance?

Comments

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well,i like his songs…:)

02:28 PM Jul 10 2014 |

princessanika

i don’t like him but i like his songs and his danceWink

11:24 AM Aug 30 2012 |

zoi54

zoi54

Peru

i would never give him a second chance. A man that beats a woman doesn’t deserve a clean slate, it doesn’t matter how many times he regrets, he will do it again because he is a sick person. As i said at the beginig if i were her i would never forgive him and, of course, i would never date a man that has beatten a woman before.

04:08 PM Jun 08 2011 |

millazhang

millazhang

China

when people get mad ,they will do someting too over.

however,who deserves the second chance,i don’t think celebrities have the priority.

in god,we are equal to each other!

04:10 AM May 19 2011 |

sofree

sofree

China

I don’t really know Chris Brown, so whatever.

Like Marni said, sometimes it’s hard due to circumstances. If every crime has a second chance, what does prison for?

I have a very sentimental partner, I always need to give him a second chance after he says or does something stupid.

04:07 AM May 17 2011 |

DIMOND

United States

Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson, Sean Penn, Eminem, and many more has DV cases against them and when it happened these men still had their careers when the DV occurred

02:16 AM May 17 2011 |

Amo0ol

Amo0ol

Saudi Arabia

i don’t like to talk about some one is bersonal live so

i don’t have a comment

and good night evrey one i have a fainal tommrow wish me look

07:16 PM May 16 2011 |

Amo0ol

Amo0ol

Saudi Arabia

great thanks

07:09 PM May 16 2011 |

isabel139

isabel139

Peru

I think yes and if someone has to stay angry with him is Rihanna. I don’t care about the others life. I really don’t know what happened I just know he was rude with her, but everybody deserve a second chance :)

06:48 PM May 16 2011 |

Namadi

Namadi

Nigeria

I think he deserved to be forgiven though am not a real fan of him, let him have another chance.

06:10 PM May 16 2011 |

dr_irfan

dr_irfan

Pakistan

we dont know the reality, that what was between them, may be that abusing was right or may be wrong. Untill we dont know the truth, dont have right to make a decission….................so thinks always before u make a decission

04:25 PM May 16 2011 |

yahuichang0821

Taiwan

Whether you think he should be forgiven or not, his girlfriend, Rihnna gave her girlfriend many many chance….. In love world, forgive is easy.

03:37 PM May 16 2011 |

lolekesh

lolekesh

I like him and his songs and I think that he is competent for have a second chance .

02:44 PM May 16 2011 |

pharaoes

pharaoes

Egypt

everyone should have a second chance

01:38 PM May 16 2011 |

pharaoes

pharaoes

Egypt

every one should have a second chance 

01:37 PM May 16 2011 |

blueskun

blueskun

China

yes   i think  so  .it  is  a  long story to say . i  am  in believe  in  person too . if   some body want to do well   i will  give  him   the  second chance. 

01:01 PM May 16 2011 |

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

I’m one of many people that to forgiven second chance for past mistake of someone, But that to except for cause about to true love or sincerity. I don’t forgiven it! or Maybe I can’t trust him again.

11:29 AM May 16 2011 |

amrosha

amrosha

Egypt

i don’t know what happened … so i can judge ans say that he deserves a second chance or not …. but in my opinion, i think if people knew their mistakes and they call for forgiveness, they deserve a second chance …. :))

11:28 AM May 16 2011 |

simonreySuper Member!

Spain

In my opinion, to forgive someone you must believe he has changed his believes, which is very difficult if you’re not in contact with him. Celebrities are not people you’re close to, so it doesn’t make any sense to behave towards them as if they were friends. Just buy their stuff if you like it.

10:26 AM May 16 2011 |

agansaglik

agansaglik

Turkey

Besides to forgiveness, a gentleman never should beat to a woman. I hope Chris take a big lesson from the unfortunate case. In a Turkish idiom says ” There is no liege without mistake. “

10:06 AM May 16 2011 |

Likes (27):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast