简体
Tourists
游客

Learn English with this travel English lesson

Date: Oct 23 2015

Themes: Travel

Grammar: Contractions and Abbreviations

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Every major metropolitan city is crowded with tourists, especially in the summer. Tourism is an important part of many cities’ economies, because tourists spend money at restaurants, hotels, and cultural attractions. Also, many people have jobs in the tourism industry.

There are some downsides to tourism, too, though. The tourist crowds can get to be too much. And sometimes tourists are rude, and they don’t try to understand the customs of a city. They act as if the people of the city should be there to serve them. Find out Mason and Marni’s take on tourists in this cities English lesson.

每个大都市里都挤满了游客,夏季更是如此。旅游业是许多城市经济中的重要一环,因为游客会在餐厅、酒店和文化景点消费。而且,还有许多人从事旅游行业。

但是旅游业也会带来一些负面影响。游客可能会人满为患。有时他们很粗鲁,不会试着了解一座城市的风土人情。他们的行为就好像全市人民都应该随时为他们服务。在本节以城市为主题的英语课上,看看梅森和玛尼对游客有什么看法。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Marni

Marni

Mason:  I just had a friend in town, and I had to do the whole tourist, host thing. Which I like doing every once in a while, it sort of gives you a chance to go some of the places that you don’t usually go.

Marni:  True.

Mason:  But, overall, I’m glad we don’t live in a city that I think is a big tourist destination because, generally, they kind of annoy me.

Marni:  Really? I guess I’m a little ambivalent about tourists. I think there’s a real benefit to having tourists. It’s a good boost to the economy. And I always chuckle when I see people doing the traditional pose with the digital camera in front of certain very scenic sights around town. You usually can kind of tell who they are.

Mason:  Sure. It’s all about the volume, right? If you go to New York, or you go to London, or Paris, any of the really huge cities-

Marni:  Major cities.

Mason:  It’s like nobody lives there. It’s just people standing around taking pictures or giant tour buses.

Marni:  I don’t know. Any major city is going to have that. I like to travel, but I don’t like to think of myself as a tourist, but I’m sure other people look at me as a tourist. I don’t want to be too judgmental.

Mason:  I have been guilty of stopping in the middle of a busy street because I don’t know where I’m going, to look at a map, and someone bumps into me.

Marni:  Sure, but that’s part of the experience, right? When you’re somewhere you don’t know.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Contractions and Abbreviations" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason recently hosted a friend from out of town. He took the friend around his city, and, in a way, that made him feel as if he was a tourist in his own home. He’s glad that his city does not generally see a lot of tourists. It bothers him when he goes to a larger city and sees tourists everywhere.

Marni is more ambivalent about tourists. She feels more than one way about them. She really sees the economic benefits to tourism, even if she sometimes thinks their actions are a little silly. Most of all, she knows that sometimes she is a tourist, too, so can she really complain?

How do you feel about tourists? Do many tourists come to your city or town? When you travel, do you think you act like a typical tourist?

Comments

fcf515

fcf515

Taiwan

I’m like Marni toward the feelings to tourists. They bring economic benefits to the place. I see myself a typical tourist because I like to pose at the front of a famous spot. But I think it will be good if every tourist learns to respect the local and try to not disturb their lives.

09:31 AM Oct 29 2015 |

favci

Turkey

I think tourists are very important people. we describe our country and they mention about their country. everybody gets information about different countries.there are various cultures . it is exciting,isn’t it?

08:53 PM Oct 24 2015 |

courtlyambrous

Austria

I think though you are in travell but you can enjoy this beautiful match between Canelo vs Cotto Live Stream from this link :  http://canelovscottolive.net

04:14 PM Oct 24 2015 |

mohamma

mohamma

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Yemeni4u!

THE Wishes sometime s is far if us!

But u are trying for your dream.

It’s important than no act😃 

I will come here in once time,

And u will become my leader guide.

04:07 PM Oct 24 2015 |

Yemeni4u

Yemeni4u

Yemen

I like to be with tourists it’s really enjoyment. They were a lot to come Yemen but not more in this days.everything is not save with them.I used to be out my country and it was so difficult to be  as ttypical tourists.In fact I got learning English to be able tourist guide.it was more ten years ago and it was just once time to be guide with someone from German here in my city.I am an unlucky person with my wishes with my dream..

10:13 PM Oct 23 2015 |

1 person likes this

Stitch

Stitch

Taiwan

I like this lesson!

08:38 PM Oct 23 2015 |

1 person likes this

mohamma

mohamma

Come to iran

04:32 PM Oct 23 2015 |

1 person likes this

mohamma

mohamma

Come to iran

04:32 PM Oct 23 2015 |

1 person likes this

zahra202

zahra202

I love tourists:)I dont know why but Im so interested in culture exchange:)

03:04 PM Oct 23 2015 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

My country is a beautiful one but not discovered by tourists yet.

The tourists from Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland can be seen at the most tourists spots of Belarus but it never crowded in comparison with touristic meccas in other countries. 

I adore travelling. It gives me a power to go ahead in my life. Travelling is like  a fresh air during the gloomy routine. 

When I travel I try to respect and follow the traditions of  any country I visit. I always try to learn about the life of local people, to taste their food, to listen to their national music, to talk to locals to know their character. I try “to live” the life of a country I visit. 

Yes, I act like a typical tourist because I am just a guest on the territory of country which invited me and hopes for my appropriate behavior. 

07:42 AM Oct 23 2015 |

rabindra shrestha

Nepal

I am a Tourist guide in Nepal. 

06:09 AM Oct 23 2015 |

yousefkohpeyma

In fact, in the city where I live, there are some famous tourist attractions‏ ,‏e.g. Perspolis, which is why it is normal seeing tourists in the city, specifically in summertime. Personally, I’m happy to see tourists, because I get to know people from other countries along with their culture and vice versa. What is more, places in which tourists are, can benifit from them economically, it is sort of called invisible export. On the other hand, tourism has drawbacks as well, for instance, there may be some cultural contradiction between tourists and native people due to which it results in some little problems. Besides, if they are not civilized, it is likely that they litter the streets or stuff like that. Basically, I believe upsides of tourism outweighs it downsides.

11:56 AM Oct 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

parisa_sh

parisa_sh

Hmmm . I love Tourists . Anyway tourists are helping national economy ;)

04:01 PM Aug 19 2013 |

1 person likes this

Ybelouso

YbelousoSuper Member!

Russian Federation

I’m very glad to see many tourists in my city. I usually see a lot of tourists in Red square , near this place and in the subway. We have amazing subway. Our subway is cultural attraction. Tourists generally come only in the city center. You can easily find tourists, foreigners, by facial expression.

I think when I’m traveling I look like a typical tourist.I’m carrying my camera every where.

03:57 PM Aug 13 2013 |

Nancyliang

Nancyliang

China

I think that as a tourists we should be a civilized people. Some tourists went to  a beatiful place where they will write down their name or some sentences.

In my opinion, this is a kind of destruction of the local culture, in my country, there are so many people to do it, when they go to travel.

02:01 AM Aug 08 2013 |

cerol

cerol

Turkey

Once we hosted two tourists from netherland.my dad has brought them.we were staring at them like a two person who came from space.they were very friendly.

10:04 PM Aug 06 2013 |

laura5

laura5

Italy

Hallo! I live in a small town il Italy which is not famous as many other italian cities and so there aren’t many tourists. I think that in small cities you can find a lot of interesting places to visit and cultural attractions. Last summer I spent my holidays in town and riding my bike I discovered places that I had never seen before because I’m always in an hurry!!

I agree that tourism is a great boost for economy and it can create job.

About crowded places…..Last month I went to Venice and I’m still shocked by the huge crowd of tourists I found!!It was impossible to visit anything and you coudn’t feel the atmosphere of the city.  If you want to visit Venice…. winter might be a better season!!

01:03 PM Aug 06 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

My city is much sought after for  tourists ,mainly from Europe and America,  they like to visit our  restaurants that include tango shows, while tasting our famous steaks and wines. mostly, their itinerary ends in the Patagonia with its incredible glaciers, also the Iguazu falls ,a natural wonder , a must see for them. I like to travel abroad,interesting that I usually am fully blended with the native people.

07:15 PM Aug 04 2013 |

Moriza

Moriza

Ukraine

Soul_Mate, no doubt,it can’t be compared;it’s better one time to see than hundred times to hear or imagine.I only mentioned about such kind of people to remark that they have no opportunities to be real tourists…

Tv. I see your point’ but can’t totally agree with you.Internet really is more popular, but mostly for young generation.Old generation give their preferance to tv (I’m saying about people from the countryside).They watch tv for hours every day and can,t imagine their life without it.

As for me,I’m an active tourist: I like all kinds of sport,adore extreme and get an adrenalin (in moderation).So,I’m with both my hands for active leisure,although ,smtm it’s good to have a passive rest,but it might be varied for me …

11:08 AM Aug 04 2013 |

miseal

miseal

China

good

10:52 AM Aug 04 2013 |

1 person likes this

Likes (40):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo