Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

take pains

take pains

Date: Nov 07 2013

Themes: Celebrity

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Fans are really important to me. And if they take pains to write to me, it’s the minimum that I answer myself.”

Actor Daniel Radcliffe, speaking about his love for his fans (Brainy Quote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

try very hard to do something

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Hard work can leave its mark on a person. It can make you tired and put dark circles under your eyes. It might make you feel anxious because you still have a lot to do, and your boss wants it done right away. In some cases, hard physical work can even make your body hurt, because you are using all of your muscles, or because you accidentally drop a heavy tool on your foot.

If you take pains to do something, you put a lot of time and energy into doing something right, even if it hurts. Perhaps you are hosting a surprise party for a friend, and you have to stay up very late to finish cooking and decorating. Or maybe you have a paper to turn in for school, so you spend the whole weekend studying at the library when all of your friends are at the beach. To take pains means to make that extra effort because something is important to you.

Actor Daniel Radcliffe appreciates his fans, and he knows that when he gets a letter from one, that person is showing how much they admire and support him. Daniel feels it’s important that he take pains to write back to his fans for the very same reason.

When was the last time you took pains to do something right? Why was it important to you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I always take pains to say hello to everyone who comes to my parties.”

“Let’s take pains with our homework so it’s perfect!”

“I take pains to buy the right presents.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

make an effort
by korhansaresimge
Jasonlongo Do hard in favour of someone else, take risk
by Jasonlongo
try very hard
by [Cheshire_cat]
"Take pains" - Try hard to do something. Express interest. Spend time with other person.
by DanielBorges

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Nadya_Hope

Nadya_Hope

Russian Federation

recently I have passed my exam and I took pains to prepare for it. although to say the truth I didn’t succeed and just about failed it

11:57 AM Nov 11 2013 |

ptgg

China

I’m taking pains to prepare a lession for a class I’m teaching. But I’d say it’s rather bitter sweet than just pains coz I love my students!

07:46 AM Nov 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

THE GOD give us a specially power that we should use it and can do everything with that but we never wanna try hard when we want sth!we want catch it easy and never try and give up soon!

about aunts:they never give up,they try hard and hard and never let the pains botter them!

09:53 AM Nov 08 2013 |

1 person likes this

dreadslayer

Turkey

In fact i have never faced take pains situation before.I worked different kind of jobs as part-time in my student years but i never felt extremely tired or trying to done smth really hard to manage with

.However the other month I started working and i know that occupation requires to participate often overtimes and anxious deadlines.So i think i should get used to that in order to have successful career in the future even though no giving up troubles which arise on that career path and strive what you’re assigned by your superiors.

09:04 PM Nov 07 2013 |

hibabyboy

China

I should take pains to learning english. because i think that is very inportant fo me. right now!

07:44 PM Nov 07 2013 |

skaloveiklasse

Tunisia

take pains mean that there is nothing  possible you can gain it with a very easy way as this impossible might be posssible but that depand on your willing

if you want to achieve something you need to pass or take pains to make it happen juste feel soothe and trusful and keep you anxious away then you gonna get it 

06:54 PM Nov 07 2013 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I often take pains when trying to be fluent and improve my English.

Sometimes I spend all night watching youtube English videos just to make my English sound perfect.

This can bring about health problems, but just taking that pains It doesn’t really matter.

Play hard, Work hard, Pray hard, Take pains !!! English baby !!!

04:01 PM Nov 07 2013 |

Levi3262

Levi3262

Brazil

I always take pains during my daily English improvement… However worth.

02:02 PM Nov 07 2013 |

hattomi

hattomi

Yemen

I’m a helpful person , anybody asks me for something I never say NO to him , and that make me take pains .

12:19 PM Nov 07 2013 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

I take pains not to procrastinate ,putting off for tomorrow tasks  that  should be  done    during that day. Although I might be tired , my motto in life is to walk an extra mile  to finish my work without delay .

11:36 AM Nov 07 2013 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

take pains ..make a great effort or try very hard to do something..

its very new word for me but it seems very useful word too..

all people take pains in the schools,houses,work..coz life needs efforts ..and its necessary too..its also key of success..

its interesting ,that people dont show same efforts in their relations..especially after marriage..they think everything is ok ,No need any efforts..

ı think they forget ,happiness wont come without taking pains..

10:58 AM Nov 07 2013 |

Mellisaa

Mellisaa

China

try all my best to do it

07:37 AM Nov 07 2013 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

Nice picture, that one with the ants.

04:19 AM Nov 07 2013 |

Orchestra

Orchestra

Russian Federation

It’s just a moment when I’m taking great pains to get through with my report I should present for my boss by Monday. Seems to me I shouldn’t have been idling about most of last few weeks)))

04:11 AM Nov 07 2013 |

1 person likes this

emnaravid

Venezuela

Make an efford

03:03 AM Nov 07 2013 |

kyoyoung

kyoyoungSuper Member!

United States

I never take pains to get something or to do. Even if it what I want…. I always just… ‘let it be…’  Because I’m trying to be Optimist….. ^^;   Frankly speaking….. I’m lazy…. :(

02:46 AM Nov 07 2013 |

1 person likes this

Eric_

Eric_

China

I would take pains to prepare the exams at the end of the semester…..><

02:39 AM Nov 07 2013 |

1 person likes this

Odyssee

Odyssee

China

i remember that the last time what i took pains to do is to prepare for my interview . hehe

01:57 AM Nov 07 2013 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast