Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Learn English meaning of 'Los Angeles'

Date: Oct 05 2016

Grammar: Past Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone knows about The City of Angels, right? It’s home to Hollywood movie stars, famous theme parks, and lots of trendy people. Los Angeles is a huge city. It’s the second-largest city in the United States, and millions of people visit the city each year. Los Angeles, also know as LA or The City of Angels, is one of the most famous cities in the state of California.

The hardest part about visiting LA is deciding what to do. If you’re interested in the glitzy lives of movie stars, try a celebrity house tour. If you’d prefer to go off the beaten path, sign up for a hike through the city’s underground tunnels. If you just want to hang out somewhere, go to the beach. Los Angeles also has tons of great restaurants and coffee shops that are under the radar. There’s always something fun to do in this city!

Someone from the English, Baby! team is taking a vacation to LA. Listen to today’s English lesson to find out all of the details.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Brian

Brian

Andy_H:  Hey, Brian. I was hoping I could ask you a few questions because I decided to take my vacation in LA.

Brian:  Oh, great! You know, I’m actually from LA.

Andy_H:  All right, cool. Well, can you give me any suggestions? Right now, all I know is that there’s the Hollywood Walk of Fame and that the Kardashians live there.

Brian:  Ah, yes. A lot of people think that LA is really pretentious and trendy, which it definitely is and those are aspects of Los Angeles, but there’s really some awesome, beautiful parks as well. If you go off the beaten path, and you don’t get caught in the whole celebrity house maps deal, you can have a lot of fun. Of course, there are the theme parks to go visit, but once again, that’s on the glitzy side.

Andy_H:  What are, like, the cool neighborhoods for people my age, like Millennials? Where would I want to hang out?

Brian:  Los Feliz has a really good arts scene, so it has a lot of cool artists in the area, a lot of musicians. Koreatown is actually also a big arts scene as well. So, those are a little more under the radar. You won’t be stuck in traffic, but you won’t be able to find parking.

Andy_H:  Well, you know I lived in New York for a while. Who knows, maybe I’ll even meet a Valley Girl or two. “Oh my gosh!”

Brian:  “That’d be great.”

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Life is good for Andy. He’s taking a vacation soon, and he’s going to Los Angeles! At the moment, he doesn’t know much about LA. He knows the city has a pretentious and glitzy side because it’s home to many Hollywood movie stars and famous celebrity families like the Kardashians. Andy doesn’t care about that scene, though. He just wants to hang out in trendy places where other Millennials like to spend time.

Because Brian used to live in Los Angeles, he knows a lot about the city. He tells Andy about some places that are both fun and under the radar. Koreatown, for example, has a great arts scene, and the neighborhood of Los Feliz is a good place to listen to local music. By going off the beaten path and avoiding places like LA’s theme parks, Andy can have an awesome vacation and not be stuck in traffic all day long. And who knows… he might even meet a Valley Girl!

Comments

englishteacher24/7

United States

In addition to the well-known tourist attractions in Los Angeles (LA) are places such as the Fashion District where you can buy merchandise at rock-bottom prices, the Griffith Planetarium. and many museums. Wherever you go in any place always be mindful of your safety.

03:12 AM Oct 08 2016 |

Likes (3):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast