Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Fill the Void
Fill the Void English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘fill the void’

Date: Nov 15 2016

Themes: Music, Pop Culture, Time

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Do things easily distract you? Do you stay up at night searching for a hobby that will spark something in your life? This is not an unusual thing. Most of us have a time in our lives when we feel like we are missing something, but we don’t know what it is. At times like this, it’s possible that we just need something new to challenge us. A new activity can fill the void that we are feeling.

The expression fill the void literally means to add something where there is emptiness. Emptiness is a space with nothing in it. And sometimes, emptiness is an emotional feeling. This is when we use the expression fill the void. You might feel like you need something new in your life. You might fill the void by concentrating on school, learning to play guitar, or taking your relationships more seriously.

Kelsey is trying to fill an emotional void in her life, but she might need to relax first. Listen as Jordin helps her in today’s video English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jordin

Jordin

Kelsey

Kelsey

Jordin:  Kelsey. Kelsey, wake up!

Kelsey:  Oh. Hey, Jordin!

Jordin:  Are you OK?

Kelsey:  Huh? What? Yeah, I’m sorry! I’m really tired. I really want to remember this song that I wrote in my dream the other night, but I just can’t remember it! Andy was telling me I should try to think of unusual things I did or talked about, but that didn’t seem to help, so I stayed up, playing guitar, hoping that would spark something.

Jordin:  You stayed up all night?

Kelsey:  Yeah, I didn’t want anything to distract me from the dream I was trying to remember. But I still don’t feel any closer to remembering it.

Jordin:  What were you doing in the dream?

Kelsey:  I was making a music video, and now I want to actually make one.

Jordin:  That’d be fun! Can I help?

Kelsey:  Of course! I haven’t really recorded anything before, but a music video seems like a really fun way to share songs with people.

Jordin:  Why don’t you pick one of your other songs?

Kelsey:  I haven’t really written any of them down. They’re kind-of spur-of-the-moment things. I’ll make them up, sing them, and then just move on.

Jordin:  Oh! Wow, OK. I see.

Kelsey:  I think, maybe, this is a sign I should start taking my music more seriously. I think it’s time! I like work, and I like my friends, but I think music fills a void that nothing else does.

Jordin:  I understand.

Kelsey:  You have school, Dominique has her own business, Andy has Sheila, and Sheila has Andy. And outside of work and friends, it’s music for me, so why not have more fun with it?

Jordin:  I think that’s a really great idea! Maybe, you can just take some time and write a few songs, and work on them, and then we can make a music video. That way, you don’t have to worry about the dream.

Kelsey:  Yeah, that makes sense. I feel like I just need something to challenge and excite me.

Jordin:  If you concentrate on your music, it’ll probably help you fill the void you’re feeling. Also, you might need to get some sleep!

TO BE CONTINUED

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kelsey stayed up all night, trying to spark a memory of the song she wrote in her dream. Jordin finds her in the morning and is a little worried. She asks Kelsey what she was doing in the dream. Kelsey tells her about the song and the music video that she is trying to remember. Jordin likes the idea of making a music video, but she suggests that Kelsey just use a different song.

Kelsey tells Jordin that she didn’t write down any of her old songs. Instead, she just makes them up, and then forgets about them. Kelsey thinks that her dream could be telling her to take her music more seriously. Music is very important to her, and it fills a void in her life. Jordin agrees that this is a good idea, but first Kelsey will need to get some good rest.

Did you ever stay awake all night long? What fills the void in your life?

Comments

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

When something bothers me, or I feel some kind of irritation, or simply I’m feeling confused or distracted, I stay awake all night. During these such times, it feels, I’m not living my life to my full potential and I need to fill the void by doing something productive.
More precisely to say, when I am not living my life effectively, I feel void inside me. I think it is self defense mechanism in us that propel us to break with our comfort zones.

11:42 AM Nov 15 2016 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast