Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Zumba Fitness
Zumba Fitness

Learn English meaning of ‘Zumba’

Date: Oct 16 2017

Themes: Friend, Health

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There are a lot of different ways to get fit. Do you like to buff up and get muscles? Maybe, you like to go to the gym for an intense workout. Maybe, you are more into playing sports, competing, and exercising with other people. Maybe, you are more of a loner and prefer to run, swim, hike, and exercise on your own. Have you ever considered… dance?

Dance might be difficult for you if you don’t have rhythm. But it is an all-body workout. If you have a preppy and vivacious personality, Zumba might be the dance workout for you. Zumba has many kinds of dance styles in one: salsa, flamenco, hip hop, and more. It is a mood boster and very easy to get hooked on.

Andy does Zumba and likes it so far. Listen as he breaks it down for Dominique in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dominique

Dominique

Andy_H

Andy_H

Dominique:  Andy, I just found out about this new thing called Zumba dancing.

Andy_H:  Uhhhh, Zumba!

Dominique:  Have you heard of it?

Andy_H:  Well, here’s the thing. I love dancing.

Dominique:  OK.

Andy_H:  So, I go to a Zumba class because it’s like the aerobic dance workout class, and nobody in my class had any rhythm.

Dominique:  Wait, you have to have rhythm to Zumba dance?

Andy_H:  Well, you don’t have to, apparently, but I do!

Dominique:  Isn’t it like intense and very energetic and preppy?

Andy_H:  It’s like, the most vivacious all intensive fitness revolution.... It was invented by Alberto Beto Perez during the 1990s who is a Colombian dancer. It’s just movement and dance while you’re working out.

Dominique:  So, it’s a mood booster!

Andy_H:  It is. It’s interval training. And, you know, I want to get hooked on it because it’s got a lot of samba dancing… rumba! But, gosh, I was the only one getting into in my class. I… kind of felt like a loner.

Dominique:  Wait, so, how about we go together, and you won’t be a loner, and then we can Zumba together?!

Andy_H:  Oh, my gosh, Dominique.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dominique has just heard about Zumba dancing. Andy is familiar with it. He loves dancing and goes to Zumba because it is an aerobic dance workout. He feels disappointed though because no one in his class has rhythm. Dominique asks if it is necessary to have rhythm in Zumba. Isn’t it supposed to just be kind of intense and preppy?

Andy says there is more to it than that. It is very vivacious and energetic, but there is a lot of style. Zumba was started by a Colombian dancer and has a lot of different kinds of dance. Dominique asks if it’s a mood booster. Andy says it definitely is. He wants to get hooked on it because it is so much fun but he feels like a loner in his class. Dominique says they will go do Zumba together!

Have you ever danced to get fit? Does Zumba look like fun?

Comments

Hadiss

Hadiss

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well, i used to go to the gym like 2 years ago. zumba was cool and it was kind of the best part of our aerobic exercise. I still love to do aerobics if i have enough time. it’s a real moodbooster to me.

11:16 AM Oct 22 2017 |

1 person likes this

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

I’m dancing a lot. Not for to get fit, just because I like it. Now I’m got hooked on forro. It’s a real mood booster for me:)

05:18 PM Oct 16 2017 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

When i was younger i danced as sport! I start taking hiphop classes (new school version) and then i became part of a group. It was very funny and interesting!! A lot of coordenation is needed, but with some training and groove you can reach it, and you can get hoocked on for sure! I have also experienced tango argentino for a year, that is a completly different style, but also incredible!!

Zumba in my opinion it’s a fusion of african dance, latin and hiphop! The hip is requested a lot. I prefer seeing girls dancing it, because it’s a sensual dance!! Dance it’s a wonderfull mood booster, everyone should try it, and repeat it!!

09:18 AM Oct 16 2017 |

Elisa1

Elisa1

Spain

I have ever danced Zumba but I think that I wouldn´t like it because I don’t get hooked on dance. I’m not a preppy and active person so dancing doesn’t is a mood booster for me.

08:19 AM Oct 16 2017 |

meyban

meyban

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I get hooked on volleyball. I really like it. It,s mood booster like Zumba dancing. When you play it with your friends, you have a great mood and you feel you can fly … :)

06:58 AM Oct 16 2017 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast