Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Sports Addiction
Sports Addiction

Learn English meaning of ‘sports addiction’

Date: Oct 25 2017

Themes: Health, Sports

Grammar: Direct vs. Reported Speech

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Roughly ten percent of people in the United States experience addiction. This does not include people who are addicted to things like movies, music, hobbies, or celebrities. But you can be addicted to many, many different things. Addiction is simply when a person feels like they can’t stop doing something.

For example, there are many people who are addicted to watching sports. When football season starts, their eyes are glued to the screen. They are obsessive and can’t stay in the present. They may constantly need to stop in a sports bar to check the score. There are doctors who focus on helping people with sports addiction because it can be a very serious problem.

Dominique thinks that her boyfriend has a sports addiction problem. Listen as Marni gives her some advice in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dominique

Dominique

Marni

Marni

Dominique:  Marni, I have a problem.

Marni:  What is it?

Dominique:  My boyfriend is addicted to watching sports. It’s all he does, like…

Marni:  Oh.

Dominique:  All he does is watch football, and I don’t know what to do.

Marni:  That is a problem, and I’m sorry, I feel you. Have you talked to him about it? I mean, have you said like, “Hey! I’m here too, you’re just glued to the screen watching football”?

Dominique:  Yeah, and he says, “Get from in front of the TV right now! I cannot see through you!”

Marni:  Oh. So, I mean, you know football season isn’t all year. So, when he’s not watching football, is he present, you know?

Dominique:  When he’s not watching football, he’s like following the football players on social media. He’s like, “What is Kevin Durant doing? What is Steve Nash doing? What is Tony Romo doing?” He like switches the sports. Like, he goes into like basketball…

Marni:  So he goes to basketball and he’s all into every sport.

Dominique:  Yeah!

Marni:  OK. So, he’s obsessive, it sounds like. It sounds like chastising him isn’t going to work though… Maybe, you guys need to have a sit down conversation where you’re able to, you know, say, “Hey, we need to create time for this and then create time for us.” Because… otherwise, if he’s not willing to create time for you guys, why are you in this relationship?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Direct vs. Reported Speech" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dominique has a problem. Her boyfriend is addicted to watching football on TV. It is all he ever does. Marni feels bad for Dominique. That is a serious problem. She asks if she has talked to him about being glued to the screen. Dominique says she tried to, but her boyfriend told her to get out of the way!

Marni asks if her boyfriend is addicted to just football or if he is addicted to watching other sports as well. Dominique says he is addicted to all of it. He even follows the players on social media. Marni says he is definitely obsessive. But chastising him won’t work. Marni suggests that Dominique and her boyfriend have a serious conversation about their relationship.

Are you addicted to anything? What does addiction mean to you?

Comments

wayattan

wayattan

United States

I want to use this opportunity to thank this great holy man called Priest Babaka  for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Priest Babaka has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn’t believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email:    or Facebook at  priestly.babaka

10:54 AM Apr 23 2018 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

meyban

no for now

08:12 PM Oct 26 2017 |

meyban

meyban

Dear Mojtaba

Are you sure about that? 

05:39 AM Oct 26 2017 |

1 person likes this

Emmastone

Emmastone

United States

My Boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years. During this time my mother passed away from cancer and we have moved in together into a property that I have purchased. My Boyfriend and I are the same age, 25. He has been unemployed for over a year now and I have had to start working extra hours on the weekend to pay the bills. I thought that he understood that I had to work, however today he sat on the couch doing nothing while I was working. I then stopped working to spend time with him and half way through our first movie, he got up and decided to go to a friends house because we are drifting? I told him I thought he was rude doing this, he just threatened to leave me and left? Every time we have an argument he threatens to leave me and i m so scared and confused that he finally broke up with me. All I do is try to make the situation better for him but today i am happy, so excited that the he is back and promised never to break up with me again, this happened with the help of Dr. Mack after looking for help for the past 3 months and i was lucky to meet Dr Mack, His love spell work faster with no side effect contact him through
email:Dr_mack@yahoo. com

07:06 PM Oct 25 2017 |

mojtaba

mojtaba

dear meyban

I as a steglal fan wish for your team get the best result against steglal that is getting less goal from ours :)

04:47 PM Oct 25 2017 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

I agree with englishbaby explanation to the word addiction: “Addiction is simply when a person feels like they can’t stop doing something.”. That person glue on a habit, and normally bad habits or with consequences for health or affecting others. I can say that I’m addicted on walking after dinner! It’s a habit that I just can’t stop doing it. At the end, it results on less time with my wife and son, except if they join me. But I try to balance my selfish moment with dedication when I’m back home.

However, I’m not addicted to sports like a large percentage of men’s in Portugal, especially football! But I enjoy spending some time seeing a match with addicted persons, as I see two shows! And I share positive and negative emotions with them. It’s a way of being connected!

08:53 AM Oct 25 2017 |

meyban

meyban

Well I,m a sports addiction too. I addicted to playing volleyball, watching football. These are my whole hobbies, ofcourse pluse English. ;)

At the end oh this week my team ( Perspolis) has a very important and serious  match with another team. Actually it is a derbi. I wish luck for my team. I,m little anxious too. because maybe I can’t watch this game.  please left a comment about my text here or send me a massage . TNX :)

08:17 AM Oct 25 2017 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast