Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Breakup Movies
Breakup Movies

Learn English meaning of ‘breakup movies’

Date: Jan 09 2018

Themes: Friend, Romance

Grammar: Future Perfect Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Love! It is wonderful to love someone! The spring comes and so does romance. Maybe, you find a sweetheart at a local coffee shop. Maybe, you fall in love with a coworker. Maybe, you will love this person for a very long time. Or maybe, your love changes like the seasons. Maybe, like winter, your love becomes cold.

It is tragic, but love is not always like sunshine. There are many movies about the nice parts of love. But there are also many movies about the bad parts, breakups and heartbreak. It is kind of a bummer to watch these movies, but they are realistic. They show that love is not always black and white.

Dominique disagrees. Listen as she and Romeo talk it out in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dominique

Dominique

Romeo

Romeo

Dominique:  Romeo, oh my gosh! I cannot stand breakup movies. I accidentally watched one because I thought it was a romantic comedy, and it was a breakup movie! And I can’t stand them because they will have broken up by the end of the movie. I guarantee it. Like, I watched The Breakup with Jen Anniston and Vince Vaughn…

Romeo:  Oh yeah, I’ve seen that.

Dominique:  And they broke up, and I just lost my mind! Like, I wanted them to be together, and it was so tragic!

Romeo:  Yeah.

Dominique:  It was such a bummer!

Romeo:  It was.

Dominique:  I can’t even!

Romeo:  I… I totally get it. You know, but that’s the reality of it. You know, things are not always black and white. You know, there’s got to be that gray area. In life, people do break up. So, why not have a movie about it that reflects real events?

Dominique:  Because it’s sad!

Romeo:  It’s sad, but it’s reality!

Dominique:  People don’t watch movies to be depressed. Like, I want sunshine and kittens and rainbows and love…

Romeo:  And unicorns! And happy endings!

Dominique:  Are you mocking me?

Romeo:  I’m just finishing your sentences.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Future Perfect Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dominique cannot stand breakup movies! She watched one accidentally because she thought it was a romantic comedy. She thinks breakup movies are too sad. She watched The Breakup with Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn and she lost her mind. They broke up at the end! So tragic! It was such a bummer.

Romeo understands how Dominique feels. But he says that breakup movies are real. Love is not always black and white. Just because you love someone doesn’t mean you will always be together. Why not have a movie that’s real? Dominique doesn’t want a movie that’s real. She wants a movie with a happy, romantic ending!

Do you like romantic comedies or breakup movies? Are breakup movies too sad?

We will have been together four years in May is correct. This is because the future perfect tense is formed with will have and the past participle tense of the verb. The past participle form of the verb “be” is been. The second sentence using the progressive form of the verb “be,” “being.” That is why “We will have being be together four years in May” is incorrect.

Comments

fcf515

fcf515

Taiwan

It depends on the storyline. Although breakup movies are tragic, they are closer to our real life. Life is not always as sweet as comedies. Having said that, I think that might be a reason that we want to watch comedies which are different from the reality and kind of make our dreams come true.

07:23 AM Jan 09 2018 |

hofpilsSuper Member!

Germany

I’m the same meaning of Romea. Break-up movies a realistic. They reflect the real life. I don’t think that break-up movies are too sad or too tragic. On the other hand I like romatic comedy. So, I like both of them. However, I prefer the romantic comedies.

06:09 AM Jan 09 2018 |

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

One can learn more from reality based movies rather from those that gives false expectations. However, each have their own benefit. On the one hand, romantic comedies help you to escape from the hard realities of life so that it cheers you up. While on other hand, break up movies gives you sense of where things get wrong on the path of life and how to avoid pitfalls that come along the way. I don’t take movies too seriously to the extent where I start associating it with my own circumstances. I believe every person’s story is so unique that it should not to be borrowed from others; otherwise it will be a second hand story. We need to make our stories so unique that we don’t find any copy of it in any movie or book.

01:31 AM Jan 09 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

🎥There are many different types of breakup movies:  The best movies to watch after a breakup always make me feel better about my situation.
I mean :
the ones that deal with the different stages of breakups
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 🎥Some of them commiserate with me, because they tap into the anger, pain, hurt, or sadness I feel after breaking up with my special someone. Others inspire me by letting me know that it’s not the end of the world and things really will get better.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
🎥I need something that makes me laugh or cry or rage.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

01:29 AM Jan 09 2018 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: