Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

homesick

homesick English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Mar 26 2018

Themes: Family, Health, Travel

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“So, even though Nicaragua has been great and all, I can’t help but feel homesick.”

—Ebaby!’s Kat, speaking about missing her home

2. Video - Watch the video before learning the definition.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

feeling of missing home; feeling lonely when away from home

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Do you feel homesick when you travel? Some people feel homesick if they spend just one night in a different place. But other people say they never get homesick. Read Kat’s quotation and then let us know which type of person you are.

“Hey, friends. Kat here. So, even though Nicaragua has been great and all, I can’t help but feel homesick. When you’re homesick, this means that you really miss home because you’ve been away for a period of time. I’m just a little homesick. I miss my family, and my home, my room! But luckily, I’ll be leaving soon, even though I’ve really enjoyed it here. Has there been a time that you’ve felt homesick before? Let me know in the comments below.”

Check out more videos by the Ebaby! team on our Instagram page.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I begin to feel homesick when I travel for more than two weeks.”

“Mary got homesick and moved her flight to an earlier date.”

“Do you feel homesick when you travel?”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

activefener

Turkey

ı try to feel empathy if somebody live homesick problem .
and ı wondered differently stories

11:13 AM Mar 08 2019 |

A2za

Saudi Arabia

2 months ago I got homesick. I’ve suffered so much from homesick and culture shock because I left my home and came to US with husband and I couldn’t used to the lifestyle here!. I’m sorry for my poor heart this was first time away from home and family

03:13 PM Mar 26 2018 |

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

Last year I had a lot of traveling. I felt lonely when I stay alone in night. I miss my family, my room and my soft blanket. That’s just a few days, seem like a short time but I recognized about homesick effect to me.

02:03 PM Mar 26 2018 |

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

I travel a lot. Wether I feel homesick depends on where I am. Somtimes I feel homesick after one single night.  

But if I`m in Florida  I feel like I could stay for ever. 

08:28 AM Mar 26 2018 |

kelvinduSuper Member!

China

Yeah, definitely. I have had the same feeling. I had been living in Beijing, China before I came to Vancouver, Canada 1 year ago. I got an excellent job in Vancouver and that’s why I decided to take on the new life in Vancouver. So far although everything seems good, the high quality air, the natural beautifies and the friendly people, I still feel homesick every now and then. I miss my dear friends, my family memebers and the delicious food in China. I think I will be going back to my hometown in a few months. 

05:32 AM Mar 26 2018 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast