Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

The Pancatantra

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

The Pancatantra is a book of Sanskrit tales, it means Five Books or  Five Cases of Cleverness. The tales were translated into Middle Persian by the physician Burzoy, then it adapted and translated into Arabic by Ibn-Elmugaffe. In addition to the tales of the Pancatantra, Burzuya incorporated various other stories into his corpus, principally from the Mahabharata epic and other Hindu and Buddhist sources.

It is one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

Here is a short tale from this book:

There once lived a lion who terrorized the animals of the jungle by hunting them,until one day they agreed to supply him daily with an animal as long as he stopped his cruelty. The animals continued to cast their lots every day until one day it was the hare’s turn. The crafty hare arrived late to the hungry and angry lion and explained to him, “I was bringing another hare for your lunch, but on our way here another lion snatched the hare from me proclaiming that he is the true king of the jungle.” The furious lion wished to confront his adversary, and so he followed the hare to a deep well full of clear water. “Look here, my king!” said the hare, perched over the well. The lion saw his reflection and, thinking it was the other lion, leaped in and drowned. Thereafter, the animals lived happily ever after.

02:04 PM Feb 19 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

javamanju

javamanju

India

Every Indian Kid grows up hearing stories from panchatantra(five principles).

This was said to be written by Vishnu sharma in 3rd century BC

It consists of five books, which are called:

• Mitra Bhedha (The Loss of Friends)
  • Mitra Laabha, also called Mitra Samprāpti (Gaining Friends)
  • Kākolūkīyam (Crows and Owls)
  • Labdhapraṇāśam (Loss Of Gains)
  • Aparīkṣitakārakaṃ (Ill-Considered Action / Rash deeds)
http://panchatantra.org/

04:09 PM Feb 19 2009 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

This was said to be written by Vishnu Sharma in 3rd century BC

As I know, the ultimate source of the" Kalila wa Dimna " can be traced to an original Sanskrit “Mirror for Princes” that was compiled by an unknown author around 300 CE and entitled the Pancatantra (Five Books or Five Cases of Cleverness).

After that it was translated into Middle Persian by Burzuya as I mentioned above.

Thanks for the link^^

05:40 PM Feb 19 2009 |