Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

spontaneous!

uplife1

uplife1

South Korea

Hi there

I've been confused about this question.

----------

It is __ that the results of the research study remain confidential.

A. spontaneous  B. essential

I could solve this question immediately, but I've been curious about something since then.

Of course, "essential" is correct answer.

but, I guess "Spontaneous" is correct as well.

Don't you think so?

Because, I think it makes sense that they should be confidential.

I mean, spontaneously, the results should be confidential.

They are meant to be.

I wonder if you get my intention of the question or not, please give me a hint of the correct answer.

Thank you~^^

11:02 PM Jan 05 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hmmm, interesting question. "Spontaneous" doesn't really make sense here. It sounds like you might be confusing "spontaneous" with "natural." Although these words are similar, if something is "spontaneous" it's more surprising and unexpected than if it's "natural." So while you could say "It's natural that the results of the study should stay confidential," you can't say, "It's spontaneous that the results of the study should stay confidential." 

02:21 AM Jan 06 2009 |

uplife1

uplife1

South Korea

Thank you for answering so quickly

But I am still confusing "Spontaneous" with "Natural".

Anyway, I will try to understand that differences.

Thank you~^^

05:02 AM Jan 06 2009 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Maybe this will help:if something happens "spontaneously," it happens suddenly and without prior planning, usually because someone decides to take some kind of action all of a sudden.

When something happens naturally, it's also without planning, but it tends to happen more gradually and is not necessarily the result of anyone's decision or action. It "just happens."

We really only use "spontaneous" in a few instances. We talk about spontaneous decisions, or decisions we make all of a sudden, with little prior thought. We also talk about spontaneous people, or people who are fun and impulsive and do crazy things without a lot of planning. Finally, you might hear the phrase "spontaneous combustion," which is when something suddenly catches fire for no reason. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often!

09:21 PM Jan 07 2009 |