Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

A Few Suggestions About English Baby Lessons

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

First of all, I have to say that English, Baby! has the best English lessons that I’ve ever had. It’s not because your lessons are not good that I got a little bit disappointed after becoming a super member. 

I chose to become a super member because after I listened to the dialogs, which are free to everybody, I decided these kind of dialogs can help me learn REAL English that I can’t possibly learn from any textbook. I can hear cast members constantly stutter, and insert filler words, and they often run their words together, which is how English is really NATURALLY spoken. I’ve been learning English for years and I’ve heard enough of “English-teacher English”, which is to pronounce every syllable slowly and carefully. However, this kind of perfectly slow English doesn’t improve my understanding of real authentical English, because people don’t actually speak that way. When I talk to an Ameirican for example, I can’t understand when he speaks fast and runs his words together. Last time I talked to an American and I was asked “How was your day?” I didn’t even understand because he pronounced “day” a little bit shorter than I expected! This frustrating fact let me realize how important it is to get used to the way English is really spoken, which contains natural pause and filler words and with a normal speed.

So here is what I think English, Baby! needs to improve. The introduction, vocabulary, grammar and discussion are all read in ”English-teacher English” where everything is slowly and perfectly pronounced without having to listen too carefully. However, that kind of English doesn’t do me any good! I have to use software to adjust the speed to make it sound more normal! I hope the way those sections are read can be with a normal speed. I remember a long time ago some lessons are recorded by a man and they sound super good. At least the speed was more comfortable. I liked it when I heard he ran his words together because that could definately help me with my listening skills.

I hope you can consider my suggestions and make the recordings with a normal speed. 

Thanks.

Best wishes.

12:33 PM Feb 08 2014 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Thank you for your suggestions! As you know, the skill of our English learners varies widely. You are absolutely correct that listening to English spoken at a natural speed is imperative for learning English. You can hear the natural word groupings in a sentence and decipher the nuances, including filler words and pauses, used by native speakers.

Reflecting this sort of natural speech is the purpose of the dialogs and English, baby! TV. The other sections (introduction, vocabulary, discussion, and grammar) have other intentions, namely introducting new vocabulary and checking comprehension. 

Nonetheless, recording these sections at a slightly modified pace may be an option. Keep listening to the lessons for a few weeks, and let us know if you hear any improvement.

Best,

Amy

10:01 PM Feb 10 2014 |

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

09:59 AM Feb 11 2014 |

Dizelman

DizelmanSuper Member!

Switzerland

I must agree with CharmYou. The same thought has been bugging me for a while now. I say those who are “slow” on Listening can read the transcript to decypher real speech or simply study previous lessons. You really got to level up guys. And it’s not just the speed. I want to sound not only fluent but aducated as well. So if you add more smart vocabulary to your dialogs like “Verbal Advantage” that would be greatly appreciated. We’ve been with you for years and have evolved. Just hope you evolve with us and we don’t have to look elsewhere for advanced stuff.

Anyway, you are THE BEST out there. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Yuri

10:41 PM Mar 22 2014 |

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

Yeah, I’ve noticed that a tiny little change have been made in these weeks lessons but still they sound not as normal. I do know that you want to care for those whose English level are not as high, but this doesn’t mean you have to lower your speed and sound like a robot, quite stiff and stilted. 

I uploaded a clip from The American Accent Training, which I think is a perfect example of good-sounding and educated speaker.

audioboo.fm/boos/2012354-ac

Best,

CharmYou 

10:44 AM Mar 23 2014 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Thank you both for your input and for the audio clip. We’ll keep looking at ways to help ALL of our English, baby! members, those just beginning to learn English and those who are quite advanced.

Best,

Amy

03:35 AM Mar 24 2014 |

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

I noticed some improvement in recent recordings of these sections. It sounds much more natural than before. 

Thanks

11:52 AM May 02 2014 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Great! I’m glad that you have noticed an improvement. I hope that you continue to hear authentic, natural English on the English,baby! website!

Thank you for your feedback! We’re glad you’re a member!

Best,

Amy

08:26 PM May 02 2014 |

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

I’m sorry for bringing this old thread up, but I just want to say that lessons released in the year 2013 actually sound really good in sections like introduction and discussions, etc.

For example, in the lesson Frank Ocean 

http://www.englishbaby.com/lessons/6216/real_life/frank_ocean

The introduction section sounds really natural, and the pace is really good.

I’m not sure if this helps but I just want to give my feedback.

Hope English, Baby! becomes better and better.

09:38 PM Aug 21 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Please don’t apologize for bringing up your concerns, or in this case, examples of which lessons you think are high quality! It’s always helpful to us, and we do listen and discuss all of your feedback.

Like you, we want English, baby! to be the best it can be. Thank you for your years of support!

Best,

Amy

05:37 PM Aug 22 2015 |