Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

make an ass out of somebody

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

In the lesson Stereotypes 

Brian:  Because you know what they say about assuming?

Kellie:  Yes.

Brian:  It makes an ass out of you and me.

What does the phrase “make an ass out of” mean here?

12:53 PM Jun 17 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi CharmYou,

The expression “It makes an ass out of you and me” is both a joke and an expression at the same time. An important thing to know first is that an “ass” is the original term for a donkey. 

The literal meaning is that when you assume (think that something is true without knowing for sure that it’s true), it can make you look foolish. For example, let’s say that you assume you’re going to be given a job and you tell everyone you’re going to get it. But then, the job is given to someone else. That might make you feel foolish.

The expression is also a joke because the word assume is spelled: ass + u + me. It’s the kind of joke that makes people groan because it’s so bad!

I hope this helps.

Best,

Amy

02:19 AM Jun 18 2015 |

CharmYou

CharmYou

Ireland

LOL. I thought ass meant butt. Didn’t know it could also mean donkey.

Thanks for your help Amy. You can always point out things that I didn’t pick up in the first place. You’re really helpful. :)

Have a great day, Amy!

10:11 AM Jun 20 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

My pleasure!

For the record, yes… ass also means butt. If you called someone an “ass” a long time ago, it probably meant donkey. Today, calling someone an “ass” is like calling that person a jerk. Basically, it’s an insult.

I hope you have a great day, too!

Amy

03:21 PM Jun 20 2015 |