Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

meaning of expression "miserable Marjorie"

ext481

ext481Super Member!

Russian Federation

I was reading an English book and in one chapter a young indian girl (living in England) applied to the job center in an attempt to find some paid work. She attended a few interviews, with no success, no one wanted to hire her. Then the woman from the job center called her again and suggested another variant.

Girl:  Thank you. That sounds good.

The woman from the job center: Oh dear. I hope you sound less like a miserable Marjorie in the interview.

Girl: I’m sorry. It sounds great.

I wonder what the expression to “sound like a miserable Marjorie” means and if it is an idiom? Is miserable Marjorie a character from a folk fairy tale or a film?

08:58 AM Aug 12 2016 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi, 

This is a fun literary question! However, I don’t have a lot of information. 

I believe I heard this expression as a child when my mother read me old British stories. However, the expression “miserable Marjorie” is not used today. 

I believe this expression is about 100 years old and British, but I don’t think it was used a lot because I can’t find much information about it.

In general, a “miserable Marjorie” would be a person (typically female) who is unhappy or not excited about life. In your example, this expression suggests that the young Indian girl spoke with a very bored voice when she said, “Thank you. That sounds good.”

I don’t know if there was ever a real person name Marjorie for whom this expression began. Please, tell me if you find more information. :)

Best,

Amy

11:24 PM Aug 12 2016 |

ext481

ext481Super Member!

Russian Federation

Thank you, teacher Amy!

10:24 AM Aug 13 2016 |