Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

grammar qusetion

acid_cndate

China

I have read a sentence" More  importantly than the songs they sing or the jokes they tell is a simple fact: ...", but I cannot find the subject?Is it a correct sentence in grammar?

Thank you.

07:56 AM Oct 30 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Yunie75

Yunie75

France

Hi

Well I'd say the subject of that sentence is "a simple fact" … But I'm not really sure.

I think that's called an inversion or something like that – a literary trick for maintaining suspense. For instance "More glamourous than Greta Garbo and Marylin Monroe, Monica Bellucci is (blablabla whatever)" => the subject here is Monica Bellucci. See? But hmm there's something that bothers me with this "More importantly"… Maybe that "-ly" is too much?… I don't really know what it is, but it sounds very weird to my non-english ear… :) Maybe somebody else could help?

Best,

Yun 

06:40 PM Oct 30 2006 |

angievanh12

United States

LaughingThis is not a correct sentance because ask yourself who or what did what and that will answer your question.

08:32 PM Oct 31 2006 |

acid_cndate

China

I have doubt that there is some mistake in this sentence, and it is from an ad-lib. It seems that replacing "importantly" by "important" could make it looks nice. I am learning spoken English now, and very glad to exchange ideas with you. Thank you for your answers.Wink

12:31 AM Nov 01 2006 |

Cong Lan

Cong Lan

Germany

hi, he wants to know the subject of this sentence: 

" More  importantly than the songs they sing or the jokes they tell is a simple fact: ..."

it's equivalent to

"A Simple fact is more importantly than the songs they sing or the jokes they tell: blahblahblah" 

And the subject is definitely "A simple fact", because according to the defintion of subject, it has to be the part of the sentence which relates to the verb.

09:18 PM Nov 03 2006 |

angievanh12

United States

THE TOPIC OF THE SENTENCE IS UNKNOWN, CAUSE SIMPLE FACT IS NOT A SUBJECT

The term subject also refers to the noun that is modified by a given adjective.

The subject of a sentence is (in English) an obligatory sentence element. It is also one of the two main parts of a sentence, the other being the predicate.

Mr Bibby danced.

The subject has the grammatical function in a sentence of relating its constituent (a noun phrase) by means of the verb to any other elements present in the sentence, i.e. objects, complements and adverbials.

The subject is a sentence element, and should be distinguished from parts of speech, which classify expressions within elements.

lOOK ON THE INTERNET FOR ANSWERS THATS WHAT THE INTERNET IS USED FOR OK THANKS BYE

12:00 AM Nov 05 2006 |

Jerry.ping

China

Yunie75,I don't agree with you more!

07:27 AM Nov 09 2006 |