Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle', this is one line in one of U2's song. But I don't understand why bicyble is so important to a fish. I thought it was water that a fish could not lack for.

It is highly appreciated that if anyone can explain what's the background story or something like that.  Thanks in advance.  Take care, be well.

10:49 AM Nov 21 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

VICKEY

India

HI,TABETHA
this is vickey from INDIA . i am new to this site and i wanna have friendship with you. i am sorry to say that your explaination on the very topic is not suiting me.
let me explicit.
you say that a woman does not need a man, but history is wittnessd no such incidence like this(if i am mistaken please remind me).
From my point of view each and every person has someone for itself. if our pet(animal) dies , we cry for that and you say that a human does not need another?
please clarify my doubt.
waiting for your reply.

10:56 AM Dec 01 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Well, Liton, thanks for your feedback.  Not too much to say actually, but, please do not mix up the gay issue with the incest.  We all know that the gay marriage is already legal in some countries and places, at least it reveals something that our society is becoming not so harsh toward the homosexuals, the situation is still so tough to them though.

Try to understand something that you do not know so well, and per my information, the sexual tendency of somone has many things been involved, I heard it also has something with the genes, and their environment acy issues actually have something with the genes, or their envorient they were growing up, and so on.  I am not promoting homosexuals, but I try to understand them.

Take care, be well. Sherry

11:18 AM Dec 01 2006 |

achyon

achyon

Nepal

hello friends,

It is interestig discussion. Many views are coming in this topics. Friends, it is very necessary to us the developing countries in Asia. Most of Asian's thinking approch is  deferent from west and adeveloping countries. 

I think, in European and Americans injoing more rights then people of developing  countries. We are struggling for food and basic needs. We have not more time to think about humrights. Humanrights is universal and it is necessary to apply any where. But the scale of implimentation is deferents. It is depending on socio-economic and cultural enveronments. 

The thinking approch of sex also deferent in the developed west and developing east. It is not open discussion matter in east but in the weat it is not matter to close. In my country, here, con not get marrigeman to man and girl to girl. In my country, it is not crime but treat as crime by police. 

Did you read in bbc online story about the turture and detaintion of lesbian and guys in Nepal n 2005 ? I think, it is depend on national rule and regulation. But we have free to discuss about that. 

In my openion, NARMAL means not homosexual. When girl needsgirl it is lesbian and if boy needs boy it is guys. It means simple that man needs women and women needs man is NARMOL. This respect rights of lesbian and  guys. They have to get marrige and live together ,  take sexual apearence.

In my country, peole says, tbey are  abnormal. So I just mention in my socio-economic and culural enveronmet.

Thanks  friends, Have a nice day.  

12:27 PM Dec 08 2006 |

loveegreyz

loveegreyz

Philippines

well said :-)

07:59 AM Dec 09 2006 |

joecn

joecn

China

people are unique, have his or her own wishes, but unforturnately some people put too much control to the others,  joecn

09:38 AM Dec 17 2006 |

loveegreyz

loveegreyz

Philippines

my first message, "well said", was for tabetha.. sorry, forgot to adress it..

09:51 AM Dec 19 2006 |

yehaichen

yehaichen

China

i uphold  what the sentence means .everyone is independent.but i don't agree  to  the loneliness.we should enjoy the fun by communicating with other people.

11:10 AM Jan 18 2007 |

echolee520

echolee520

China

hey ,linton, I agree with you. We should esteem other's life style. But the style need to be accepted by pulic. From zero to 100, there is long road. Like in China, When the Gays and lesbian first occur in society, we could not understand, how could they be, when we can, of course not all peole, just some, and time is needed.

We are not isolated in the world, the culture and political , economy also can help to your thouths, to your sense of worth. So what we do is to adapt to the changing world.

Thanks for sharing. cheers.  Echo

03:56 AM Apr 03 2007 |

yanees

Germany

Yes you are right that a fish needs a bicycle more than water especially these days!!

05:36 PM Apr 09 2007 |

Wild Daisy

Wild Daisy

Viet Nam

Hi Friends,

Your topic reminds me of a line from a song called : People Need Love by ABBA, and they say the contradict idea:

"Flowers in the desert need a drop of rain like a woman needs her man" 

02:42 AM Apr 10 2007 |