Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

where

rosarios

Mexico

I was reading a story and there was a sentence that said "when the minivan he was traveling was hit" for me it should be "when the minivan WHERE he was traveling was hit", can I omitte the word WHERE and is that word an adverb or a relative pronoun? can somebody helpme 

09:05 PM Jun 11 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

LotteUK1

United Kingdom

The sentence you give is not correct. It should read 'when the minivan he was traveling in was hit'.

You are right that it's a relative clause, but the relative pronoun would be 'which' (the minvan is a thing not a place) i.e 'when the minvan which he was traveling in was hit'

Yes, you can omit the relative pronoun because  it's not the subject of the second clause. For example, in the sentence 'the man who loves me', 'who' is the subject so cannot be omitted.

Hope this helps! Love your country by the way- spent 6 months there – fantastic people, food and languageSmile

09:36 PM Jun 11 2008 |

rosarios

Mexico

thanks a lot, that was a great explanation and easy to understan

11:09 PM Jun 15 2008 |

cd05maicontrongtoi

Australia

I don't understand your meaning  so i have no anwser ! for you

02:22 PM Jun 16 2008 |

LotteUK1

United Kingdom

No problem. Glad I could help.