Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

The way of greeting

Broyo

Taiwan

Hello everyone, I’m a student in Taiwan. The way of greeting in Taiwan is just say hello. Sometimes I think its kind of monotone, so I want to know other ways of greeting in foreign country. could you gives me some examples in your country ? I’ll give my best appreciates. Thanks!

05:01 PM Jun 19 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

00ooblue pen00oo

Saudi Arabia

my country is saudi arabia so I am going to tell you abuot our way of greeting…..

we say for agroup of peaple …...(peace on you)

but when we greet somone  individually , we say peace on you and we shake him with  his right hand and sometimes kiss his cheeks…....

09:14 PM Jun 19 2008 |

MaxAguilera

Chile

Hi Broyo, How are you?

I'm chilean, in my country there are very way for to greet.

"Hi", "what about?", "how are you?". more over a handshake among men or a kiss on the cheek with girls, a hug with someone they deem much.

Sometimes, just enough lifting his head slightly.

I remenber, when I was a child… said "hoo" lifting his hand and head.

When we bid  farewell said "Take Care" with a big hug.

But I belive that a traditional greeting in Chile is a handshake.

Take Care!!

06:30 PM Jun 20 2008 |

xudi

China

I am a chinese,our way of greeting others is just the same as you.we always say "hello".

but i'd like to tell,among our students,we prefer to give others a big smile instead of to say some greeting-words.

and evenmore。。when it comes to someone you are familiar with 。。a eye contact will do all。。。

01:39 AM Jun 21 2008 |

Secretary of state

Saudi Arabia

Hello, Broyo.

I'm Yasser,  My country is Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. So, I wanna tell you some our ways of greeting. I say for someone or group (Peace on you). Meaning is (Al Salaam Alikum) 

And then He\she or they reply to me (Wa Alikum Al Salaam).

Also when I greet anybody individually, I say peace on you (Al Salaam Alikum)

I shake him with his right hand and sometimes I kiss his cheeks…

02:11 AM Jun 21 2008 |

abdou 123

abdou 123

Algeria

hi i am from algeria . what is important i am from the arabic world and we all have three greets which is peace on you groups or just one shake hands or kisses in cheeks

and i can tell u this any arabic person will say to you the same

best wishes for u take care ….  

07:23 AM Jun 21 2008 |

Keni

Keni

Azerbaijan

In AZERBAIJAN, the way of greeting  is "SALAM".

And if you great someone in the morning, you say "SABAHIN XEYİR". It means "Good morning". And  "AXŞAMIN XEYİR"  means "Good evening".

08:34 PM Jun 21 2008 |