Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

hi pals. could you check the sentence for me? thanks beforehand(3)

beefy man

China

The student was craning ( craning his neck?)to copy the answers from the students sitting next to him when he got caught.

The little boy just pretended to have fallen asleep but the instance he heard Santa Claus chortling out side, he jumped out from his bed.

What do you think the sentences I made above? Thank you   :-) 

02:29 PM Sep 03 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

beefy man

China

by the way, do you have any good idea to make my english sound more nature, authentic? How could I know which word/expression is used in writing and which is used in writing?

02:32 PM Sep 03 2008 |

Yunie75

Yunie75

France

Hi,

I would use "craning his neck" for the first sentence.

And I would use "moment" instead of "instance" in the second. "Outside" is one word word, too. And I'd say "he jumped out of bed"

But I'm no teacher :)

As for your second post, you may try to look for english idiom databases on the net… Maybe?

For instance, there's http://www.phrases.org.uk/ 

And of course, read english, listen to english, as much as you can. :)

Best,

Yun 

03:33 PM Oct 01 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Thinking about jumping out of things, here's something that's interesting:

http://www.drakemag.com/phpbb3//viewtopic.php?t=9039&start=0

05:28 AM Oct 03 2008 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

The student was craning his neck to copy the answers from the students sitting next to him when he got caught.

The little boy just pretended to have fallen asleep, but the instant he heard Santa Claus chortling outside he jumped out from his bed.

I would consider using a word beside "chortling."  I am a native speaker and I had to look it up to find out it ment laughing.

04:35 AM Oct 04 2008 |