Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

reception

Kenith

Australia

Hi,

1) “bimbo” and “chick”, which one is more polite?

2) say you make a call to a big company. someone picks up the phone and asks you for the extension number. you tell him/her and wait…

my question here is: what’s the term for the first number? I don’t think “switch board” is the proper word. I know i can use “reception” if talking about a big hotel. but i don’t know if i can use “reception” to refer to “the thing” in companies…

Thanks a lot, happy new year!
Kenith

04:58 AM Dec 28 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Tanis

United States

Hey Kenith!

Neither “bimbo” or “chick” is a polite term for a woman. “Bimbo” is a word for a woman who sleeps with many men, while “chick” is just a slang term for a woman. Neither term is respectful, but I think it would be more insulting to be called a “bimbo.”

At a large company, the main welcome area is called the reception (you were right!) However, sometimes the receptionist is not the person who answers all of the calls for the company. That person would be called the “operator.”

I hope this helps!

Tanis

03:58 PM Dec 28 2001 |