Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

How do you practice English in your company?

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Do you have any good experience about practicing English in your company or your department? Even though there is no foreigner. How do you keep on speaking? How do you improve your oral English well?Cool

05:22 AM Nov 27 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

ronnie1981

ronnie1981

China

it is hard to speak

03:06 AM Dec 11 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Leon, actually your English is also good!

Yes, sometimes it is a little difficult to find a partner to speak English. Before I study in Web, one of my colleagues and I ever tried to practice oral English together. We hid in a small room and read very single sentence after lunch. We were so shy to speak English outside, and didn't let someone knew that. hehe,funny…...

We just insisted it for a short time because my colleague quit.

I think that is why the English training center is more and more popular. cause the environment is very important.

And I think your choice is right, don't care to much. Even though many people study English in Web or Wall Street, but it doesn't mean they will learn it as well as you or better. They just creat a good environment for the students, but the effect is from student. I saw many classmate seldom go there and study, some one gave up finally.

Try your best is enough! Don't forget to talk to your classmate in English! I think you also can learn it well! Good luck! ^^

04:01 AM Dec 11 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Thanks Ronnie!

Yes, that is the big problem for Chinese!

In my opinion, I will find someone who is interested in English, than practice to him/her!

04:32 AM Dec 11 2008 |

purpleiris

purpleiris

China

I gave up a position as a secretary in an import & export CO. about 2 years ago for some personal reason. but i still cherish those time for the GM and any other managers were willing to teach me english. and also i had many opportunities to practice with our customers from all over the world.

but now without that enviroment i also keep studying E all the time. i'm taking part in an oral English lesson and it really works. and making friends with same hobby "english" from the training center makes me happy. sometimes i talk to myself like acting A & B in a dialog at the same time. funny? isn't it? but it's useful.

07:57 AM Dec 11 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Thanks Iris!

Wo, you are really so hard!

I always think the person who works in trading company is good at English. They communicate with the foreigners fluently. and the environment makes them improve it quickly. I seldom see the kind of person study English in a training center.

Talk to self is also a good way to practice English! Especially when we can't find a partner!

You really study so hard! I believe everything will be smooth for you in future. ^^

09:08 AM Dec 11 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

I have seen employees in my company who improve their English a lot by frequently corresponding with our UK staff and clients. They not only have to write their own emails  (there are no secretaries in our office), but they also have to read a lot of letters and reports written by people who are usually quite good in English.

However, a lot of other people do not get the same opportunity. People are sometimes shy to speak the language.

Here's a video of a Japanese person speaking in English:

http://elpweb.com/onjapan/a-typical-day-in-the-life-of-a-student-at-a-japanese-university/

You may notice that she has problems now and then in pronouncing certain words, which is quite natural – like the r sound (but not always) and the f sound (the f sound in first floor sounds like p, a problem that some Sri Lankans also have). Here are some inks to a few English pronunciation videos:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTRpf_gd2I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqD4yOnuh18&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38uLbRkID7o&feature=related

02:48 PM Dec 11 2008 |

purpleiris

purpleiris

China

so if i don't have an English enviroment in my company the only way i can choose is studying by myself. and talking with those foreign teachers in the training center really helps me to improve. i'll keep until my dream comes true.

02:38 AM Dec 12 2008 |

garyxujie

garyxujie

China

Yes,Iris,actually,the problem of learning is same to u w/o E enviroment for many people,but the key is our own,keep it out,support u&learn from u!GO with together!!!

03:09 AM Dec 12 2008 |

Jassica_xu

Jassica_xu

China

Thanks Tiffintime for your kind sharing!

I have watched and listened to these videos. They are really useful cause my pronunciation is also not so good. I also can't pronounce the "r" correctly. Even though I know I need to use the tongue, but always forget it. ^

Another good news for me is that I found "youtube" is a good place to study English. Thanks so much! Tiffintime! ^

04:00 AM Dec 12 2008 |

Weiter

China

Jassica xu

could you tell me your QQ number

thanks

08:39 AM Dec 17 2008 |