Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Whom do you call her/him "My sweet"?

Grazie-f

Grazie-f

China

We call girl-friend or boy-friend or baby like that.

But between ordinary friends(man and woman),we don't.

How about Western?

02:27 PM Jan 02 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

"My sweet" – This sounds a bit awkward. We usually say "my sweety/sweetie" or "my sweetheart" when referring to people. Sweet is usually used in British English to refer to candy. Of course, if somebody thinks you're nice, that person may say, "You're so sweet!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXsWy2iVWJA

03:04 PM Jan 02 2009 |

krisflores

Philippines

wow !! nice guys!!

im new here|!!

08:19 PM Jan 02 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

You will find a lot of guys on here call girls 'sweetie' 'honey' 'baby' and things like that. It's not proper in real life and it's not proper here on Ebaby. It's demeaning. Usually the men who say things like that have absolutely no experience with women and pretend to be rough and tough guys but really they are simpletons. You also get a few old guys on here, I can think of one from Turkey, who go around and say junk like that to much younger girls.
I have heard of some foreign teachers in some countries using these terms too which is incredibly inappropriate. If you don't like what someone is calling you, tell them, nicely first and then a bit more firmly. Some foreign teachers look down on their students and may feel like they can say anything to their foreign students. Let them know they can't!

12:23 AM Jan 03 2009 |

Nikos

Nikos

Greece

in greek you can call someone "moro mou", "agapi mou"- my baby, my love, like anyone dear to you , not necessarily having sexual implications. on the other side you can also use those ironically sometimes.

11:41 AM Jan 03 2009 |

Grazie-f

Grazie-f

China

Thanks for all your kind reply,the meaning is clear now.We know each other since last March,and we are good friends.

Thanks again and Happy new year!

02:24 PM Jan 03 2009 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

i call ''my sweet'' to my candies Laughing

02:28 PM Jan 03 2009 |

shad84

shad84

United States

my lil willy wibby 9 year old sister…..........she's all i have and am gonna do anything to make her happy….............love ya lisaKiss

03:25 PM Jan 03 2009 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

to everyone :)

expecially little kids that i see them playing  in street..

04:21 PM Jan 03 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

But Can I Cry, it's different for a woman. I can't put 'kisses' at the end of my emails the way my friends in Brazil can. I can't says 'hugs' to just anyone. Women can call anyone sweetie, assuming that they know the other person will not get the wrong idea. But a man can't do that. It is condescending and quite often, in the States and Canada anyway, it can elicit a sharp, angry response. It is a double standard but that is just the way it is. I would hesitate even to call a child sweetie unless I knew the parents well. I talk to kids as adults anyway so the idea never comes up in my mind. 

09:43 PM Jan 03 2009 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

That's my sweety!

The apple of my eye, the sugar in my tea and also the man of the house … so don't even think about it :-)

01:04 AM Jan 06 2009 |