Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

book on american english pronounciation?

Joeyshin

Joeyshin

United States

Hi there,

Good day to you!

I’m thinking about buying a pronounciation correction (or improvement) book for myself. Any suggestions? Any good experiences? Any book must I go for, or is there any book should definitely avoid?

Any comments or suggestions is welcomed from both ESL friends and English Baby en·tre·pre·neurs. Thanks :)

Joey

Some background info: I’m a Chinese student studying in USA. My biggest headache right now is that—I have been very succesfully confusing people with my pronounciation for letter “Z”. It takes me a long while, almost everytime, to clarify it’s not what they guessed “D”, nor “V”, or “J”. I need help, because it is the first letter of my last name, and I need to spell my name so often. :(

04:08 AM Apr 02 2002 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

john

johnSuper Member!

United States

Joey,

I don’t know of a book, but imagine this when practicing the letter “Z.”

Make an “S” sound with your mouth. Stop blowing air and keep your mouth in the same position. Now try saying the “Z” sound. Does this help?

John

12:29 AM Apr 05 2002 |

omiga000

United States

well actually there is a hardware called “voice speeder”, and that might be helpful. it’s like a recorder, and it’s very tricky, it allows you to slow down or speed up the stuff you recorded.
you can record the correct pronounciation pronounced from the native speaker, and try to do it yourself(after slowing it down). i’ve been using it for couple of months, and it works well.

12:33 AM Apr 06 2002 |

Joeyshin

Joeyshin

United States

John,

Thanks for the tips. I actually tried that this afternoon when I was spelling my name to someone behind the counter. It seems working okay, but I’m not sure—since she had my name before anyway. :)

I will keep practicing though.

And again, thanks for the help.

Omiga,
Thank you too for the information. I’ll note that.

02:58 AM Apr 06 2002 |

Joeyshin

Joeyshin

United States

On learning English pronounciation, I believe there is more to imitate the sound. It’s also very important to learn HOW to make the sound.

For example, to pronounce “th”, it’s necessary to reach tongue out and place it between the upper teeth and lower teeth. Without the help from an english speaking friend, I wouldn’t be able to figure that out—since in my native language, there is no such way to make a sound.

I have been imitating people speaking on the TV for over 2 years now, but the progress is slow and somewhat frustrating. That’s why I want to have a book and hopefully follow some instruction to “correctly” pronounce.

Just wonder how American kids learn the pronounciation. Any extra work beyond everyday conversation with their parents? How do teachers at school correct their students’ pronounciation?

03:19 AM Apr 06 2002 |