Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

What events make a person an adult

NatashaGu

NatashaGu

China

we can always tell the differences between child and adult, but what experiences or ceremonies make a person an adult?

05:06 AM Feb 28 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

NatashaGu

NatashaGu

China

i think the things that can make you more mature, can change your views on the world are the events that make a people an adult

05:13 AM Mar 01 2009 |

ethanpang

ethanpang

China

how about Chanlledge , i think this is the thing what make me growing all the time….......  id like to make friends with u

08:16 AM Mar 01 2009 |

NatashaGu

NatashaGu

China

to be honest, i don't have the exact definition of adult. well, in my opinion, adult is the person who is mature in both physical and psychological aspects. when he meets with difficulties he can deal with them. that's my idea, so, what is yours? what's your opinion

11:45 AM Mar 01 2009 |

doha-e-b

doha-e-b

Israel

nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!

08:23 PM Mar 01 2009 |

pink angel

pink angel

Saudi Arabia

in my opinion holding a big responsibility  and do it in an excellent way will make any one adult

07:03 AM Mar 02 2009 |

NatashaGu

NatashaGu

China

I have thought over the question that what is an adult, and now I have a clear mind of it. In my opinion, an adult is a person who is mature not only physically but also psychologically, who can confront with and cope with difficulties bravely and rationally, who has his own view on life and the world. Yes, that’s my definition of adult.

To tell a particular person whether he is mature psychically is easy. If you notice that this person’s body id fully developed (I’m sure you can tell from that person’s appearance, :D), then you can be sure that this person is physically mature. Actually, there is no age limit to physical maturity. As a psychologically mature person, he acts maturely. He must be able to communicate well with others, have feelings for others’ pain, keep good relationship with others, learn from past mistakes, and have the problem-solving skills or social skills…

For example:

Suppose there is a strange man beside you, and he gives a packet of candies to you with a big smile on his face. One accepts it without any thinking, anther one thinks it twice and carefully analyzes it before accepting. Which one do you think is more mature; I think you have your answer.

I do think that you are an interesting guy, and it seems that you are good at raising questions. If you have more questions, we can continue our discussion. I’d like to discuss with you all.

10:44 AM Mar 02 2009 |

hameedwali

hameedwali

Pakistan

I think the topic is going very intresting.From both of ur discussion now it is clear that adult needs more explaination. I think "adult" is some thing far than moralality,mentality,physcial and sycalogical maturity.

Physical and scychalogical maturity grows with time passes and a stage comes when when start lossing these features for example(Child + youth + old age)at different stages his morality ,physical and scychalogical temprament changes.

Also an adult can be foolish,intelligent,wise,clever,coward.

so I thnink this discussion should to be continue to find what realy an adult is?

01:06 PM Mar 09 2009 |

hameedwali

hameedwali

Pakistan

I think the topic is going very intresting.From both of ur discussion now it is clear that adult needs more explaination. I think "adult" is some thing far than moralality,mentality,physcial and sycalogical maturity.

Physical and scychalogical maturity grows with time passes and a stage comes when when start lossing these features for example(Child + youth + old age)at different stages his morality ,physical and scychalogical temprament changes.

Also an adult can be foolish,intelligent,wise,clever,coward.

so I thnink this discussion should to be continue to find what realy an adult is?

01:15 PM Mar 09 2009 |

NatashaGu

NatashaGu

China

I'm afraid that there is no accurate definition of adult, for adult is not a kind of people, but a group of people.

04:39 AM Mar 11 2009 |

hangyichang

China

what is an adult,it is a complicated question,everyone has concept about it.but it has something common for adult,duty on family,responsible for his behaviors,considering alone and making money.

07:49 AM Mar 11 2009 |