Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

I feel is difficult to open my mouth to speak English

Joyce Guo

Joyce Guo

China

I'm a English learner,my mayjor is Business English.

But my oral English is poor, usually when I communicate with people ,I don't know

what to say ,it seems in my mind ,there is no word!

Can you tell me how shuold I do ?

Look forward your reply.

Thank  you!

08:44 AM May 03 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

poko

Antigua and Barbuda

my oral english is realy poor, i m tryng to develope my english but  i forget to memorise all my learning words.when i speak with foreign pppl i forget to tell my known words, i mean in proper time i cant memorise proper words. if anyone sugest me what  should i do , it ll be great achivement for me.

05:12 AM May 08 2007 |

truckhuang

truckhuang

China

start from the writing first.

are you keeping a diary or a travel journal? I MOSTLY do some writing online .i always start a topic for others to discuss and put an ear and eye to the reponses  from different people in their own cultures.Also i do some  responses and comments on others' discussion.i suppose it is this that put my ability of expressing myself to a greater extent and being more social in many ways.

do you like writings and talk about things you are concerned with and regarding you?People are from all fields ,doctors, college professors,mother s,daddys,teachers, company white collars…Their thoughts could throw some light on us? why not join me at this writing site : http://www.mylot.com/?ref=lankie

This site on which i am doing my topic starting also pay your writing task,015-0.022$ for each quality response that you posted.A quality reponse is something from your real experience ,talking about your way of dealing with things.Very insightful and most thoughtful!You also gotta write  at least 4 lines .GOOD DAY!

05:26 AM May 15 2007 |

truckhuang

truckhuang

China

are you keeping a diary or a travel journal? I MOSTLY do some writing online .i always start a topic for others to discuss and put an ear and eye to the reponses  from different people in their own cultures.Also i do some  responses and comments on others' discussion.i suppose it is this that put my ability of expressing myself to a greater extent and being more social in many ways.

do you like writings and talk about things you are concerned with and regarding you?People are from all fields ,doctors, college professors,mother s,daddys,teachers, company white collars…Their thoughts could throw some light on us? why not join me at this writing site : http://www.mylot.com/?ref=lankie

This site on which i am doing my topic starting also pay your writing task,015-0.022$ for each quality response that you posted.A quality reponse is something from your real experience ,talking about your way of dealing with things.Very insightful and most thoughtful!You also gotta write  at least 4 lines .GOOD DAY!

Smile

05:28 AM May 15 2007 |

truckhuang

truckhuang

China

to start from writing and make it a habit

once you type in common words and phrases every day ,you wont fail to spell out the letters of words.Cool

05:30 AM May 15 2007 |

truckhuang

truckhuang

China

05:30 AM May 15 2007 |

Joyce Guo

Joyce Guo

China

Thank  you for your advice! I think I will try ,as you  said ,may be you have lat  of experience in many feilds .  As an English learner,maybe I should do my best ,no matter what method or how long the time take ,just do my best !

I  pass my eye over the websit ,Excellent!

08:02 AM May 15 2007 |

Khim

Khim

Nepal

yeah, I have same roblem like you. Nowadays I am talking with my friends in english. I think, it is one of the way to improve english speaking. And I am watching english movies also. But my another problem is how can write correctly in english? I am traing to improve but cannot eassily. 

10:52 AM May 16 2007 |

hladd09

United States

For a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, English would be an extremley difficult language to speak. The sounds are so much more complex and constanants are jumbled together. My advice to you would be to learn the most difficult sounds in english for you and practice them in a mirror or any time. make sure you know what the sound sounds like first, then practice, practice, and practice more. I wouldn't even expect you to learn to read english. That would be extremely difficuly for you to master. I say this not to insult your inteligence but because you're chinese and English spelling is even very difficult to English speaking natives. Make sure when you are taking your english classes to focus on the pronunciation of english words and the grammar. You can really make yourself sound foolish if you mix up too many words and you don't even say the words correctly. Hey, and consider yourself lucky that you don't need tp learn German. I'm learning German right now and I think It's very hard. It is like English x10. I can't imagine how hard it would be for an eastern person to learn German. Its would be even harder for a chinese person to learn. Sorry I keep on blabbering about German. I just want you to know that there are even harder languages out there that you don't necessarily need to learn. Good luck  

12:52 AM Mar 09 2009 |

yxhhero

China

don't be afraid of losing face, just try your best to make yourself understood even if you might make a lot of mistakes, but if you never have your mouth opened,you will never know that, and how could you improve your spoken english?

05:19 AM Mar 09 2009 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

haha Das ist richtig. 

Lernen deutsch – das ist sehr schwierig!

Lernen, lernen, immer lernen, aber ich spreche keine deutsch!

The irony is that many of our "illiterate" people who come into frequent contact with tourists at our beaches (in Sri Lanka) are very good in their oral German.

In our region, the difference between the "s"  and the "sh" sound is that not greatly differentiated. In fact, there was once an argument among our political powers-that-be as to whether this country should be known as Sri Lanka or Shri Lanka? 

There are some good pronunciation guides under Ebaby lessons, as well as on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna_ggVrTiY&feature=related

In order to develop spoken English rhythm, Jazz Chants may help.

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?sectionType=listsummary&catid=59397&docid=146250English

Pronunciation tips were also discussed in another thread:

http://www.englishbaby.com/forum/AskEnglish/thread/257229

06:52 AM Mar 09 2009 |