Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

asking about pronunciation & word stress

Merry KHO

Merry KHO

Indonesia

hi… friends…
i have difficulty in pronunciation and putting correct stress. Do you have any suggestion to overcome these problems?
I hope you will share your ideas…
Thank you…:)

02:22 PM Jul 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

wonderful0701

China

oh dear friend , i have the same problem of you.

07:48 AM Jul 17 2009 |

Merry KHO

Merry KHO

Indonesia

ow… same with me…:)

12:30 PM Jul 21 2009 |

Ynas Midgard

Hungary

Salve!

Well, first you should check out the words you know in the dictionary where (besides correct pronounciation) correct streesing is shown. After some you might get the idea, since there are only a few rules.

I may not give you better method because it's about skills and talent – it must be practiced to be aquired, but once you get the hang of it, it is a piece of cake.

If you still have a problem, look for dictionaries with in-built audio system (sorry, it's 2am here and I didn't find any other word for it) so you can check yourself anytime.

I would offer my help (as I have a mic), but I don't think we can find any free time to spend with real-time speaking.

So, get the dictionary and practice :)

Not as punnctuation, it's terribly different from ours in Hungary.

12:20 AM Jul 22 2009 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Just do a Google search for "word stress", and it will come up with a lot of useful links. (use www.google.com or www.google.co.uk )

07:41 AM Jul 22 2009 |