Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Often

Mim0§a

Mim0§a

Indonesia

how do you normally say “often”? do you pronounced the “t” in “often” or just “offen”? coz my high school teacher taught that the “t” in often and the “l” in palm, etc were silent, but i usually pronounced the “t”
how about you people?

06:31 AM Jun 12 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

Hello Helena!

Both ways are correct. You can pronounce the "t" or not. I don't pronounce the "t" in this word, but it is a matter of preference. With palm and calm the same thing happens. You can pronounce the "l" or not.

However, this is not the case of the words walk, talk and chalk, for example. The "l" in these words is not pronounced.

Best regards Smile

02:38 AM Jun 13 2007 |

Mim0§a

Mim0§a

Indonesia

hi girl, thanks for the respond:) yeah you’re right it’s only a matter of choice. I know americans pronounce the “t”in often but not in british english. btw i’m glad you respond my question coz i’ve noticed people here only have interest in looking for friends to be chat with.

05:32 AM Jun 13 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

I'm ready for everything! 

I love making friends, but I also like to help! I will always give a reply if I know the answer! You can always count on me, ok?

See you!

05:36 PM Jun 13 2007 |