Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Talking toothpicks & comedy of errors

albatross

India

Hi, I would like to know the meaning of the following words :

1) Talking toothpicks

2) Comedy of errors.

Please help. 

10:18 AM Jun 16 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

I've never heard of talking toothpicks.

A comedy or errors means a whole series of mistakes related to the same incident. You go to the bank but it is closed, you try to use the money machine but it is out of order, you decide to pay by credit card but you forgot it too, then when you finally decide to pay cash which your friend has lent you, the item you want is sold out! Something like that would be a 'comedy of errors'. 

11:37 AM Jun 20 2007 |

albatross

India

Hi

Thank you very much for reply.  I think I have totally understood the meaning of the word "comedy of errors".  If you happen to know the meaning of the word "talking toothpick" in future,  please let me know and oblige.

Thanks once again,

bye 

06:42 AM Jun 21 2007 |

siripoopey

Thailand

hi

09:08 AM Jun 21 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

A talking toothpick is the derogatory name for a celebrity, almost always a woman, who is so thin that she looks like a toothpick. The recent trend of skinniness in models and TV stars, usually in the US, caused many teens to lost weight and stop eating in order to emulate their favorite starts. 

So a skinny actress or model is a 'talking toothpick'. 

12:28 PM Jun 24 2007 |