Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Weird things about the english language

Enriclvm

Enriclvm

Bulgaria

This topic is for speak about what things we found more strange, freak or weird about the english language since we started to learn and know about this language plus what things we miss more about our first language when we speak in english. I'm interested in know if people of different first languages share the same opinions about it.

05:29 AM Jul 19 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Enriclvm

Enriclvm

Bulgaria

Well. This is my answer, I hope that other people also participate here.

- I feel very strange when the people call "male" and "female" to themself and to the other people. It sounds very bad, very rude for me. We just use it for speak about animals in my language. For example: I feel normal ask "is this hamster male or female?" but no ask "are you male or female". And when someone ask me if I'm male or female i want to answer "human". Because say male or female is kinda eliminate the human condition of the people and speak just about the sex.

- I don't like that the english don't have words for call the young people. I thought during long time that boy and girl were the same for different genres, and that we could use it for call someone of even 25 years old. The last summer my teacher told me that I just can call a boy to someone of 12 or less years old, and after that he's already a man. Lol But simultaneously a girl of the same age (even when the girls grow faster than boys) can be called girl being 25. I don't feel myself a man, I don't feel myself adult but if I say that I'm a boy I'm wrong so I kinda feel that I don't have answer. We have many other words in my language that are simultaneously for girls/women or boys/men for different ages.

- I have problems with the "you" because this person doesn't have plural. It makes confusions often and I don't know what to say for be specific and ask or tell something in plural (all of us?).

- I have problems for say that my friend is a girl/woman or a boy/man. I have to say "I have a friend from hungary, this friend a girl" when i prefered could say "i have a girl friend from Hungary". And I feel a bit ridiculous that a person can call boyfriend to someone 80 years old when nobody can't call him just boy since a lot of years ago. xD

- I feel that the english have too many possible confusions. For example: "I like him / I'm like him", "you're father / your father"

- I sometimes don't know if I have to spell a word with "f" or "ph". Why does the english have both? Lol

- And finally the most important. Oral english doesn't have any relation with write english. I feel that I have to learn 2 different languages, I never know how I have to speak a word when I read that, and I never understand the words of the songs if I don't read the lyrics. That's so freak. The vowels doesn't have much relation with the real ones, there are many mute letters and many letters that change the position. I know that english isn't the only language with these problems, and I complain my mother language for have it too much but the english is still more radical. You write "u" and say something like "a", you write "e" and that doesnt have sound, you write "ee" and that sounds "i", you write "i" and that sounds "ai", etc How can the people write "who" and say "hu",  write "battle" and say "batèl", write "dirty" and say "dèry", write "girlfriend" and say "gèlfrèn", write "face" and say "fèis", write "hour" and say "auèr", write "why" and say "guai", write "write" and say "gruait"... ? Why make the language so different?

06:11 AM Jul 19 2010 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

Every language has its special features. Language is an alive phenomenon, it develops and changes through centuries and ages. In Old and Middle English spelling of many words was not the same as in Modern English, and the pronoun "you" had its plural form (singular was "thou" -in Nominative case, "thee" – in Objective case and plural was "ye" – in N.case, "you" – in O.case)

and by the way, French is more strange in spelling. Oral French doesn't have any relation with writing French even more than English…. Smile

07:26 PM Jul 19 2010 |

IMAAZH

IMAAZH

United Arab Emirates

why we say ( building ) while we already finished it

07:34 PM Jul 19 2010 |

anglorths

Viet Nam

I am sure English is no longer weird to you, given your level. It's the matter of being used to.

Still, from time to time we do meet seem-familiar words, but completely different meaning: like a man of war for a battle ship, etc….

This just makes it interesting to learn English!

04:38 AM Jul 20 2010 |