Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

swing for the fences

sallyzou

United States

hey pals,

1. “The women’s team, on the other hand, met with the client and learned they were seeking a ‘swing for the fences’ approach.” what does “swing for the fences” mean here?

2. peasants put some puppets in the field to scare off the birds and animals, what is the thing called?

3.”Madame Buckley is really anal about note-passing.” what is “anal about”, is it offensive?

Thanks a lot!!

05:23 PM Apr 13 2004 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

billjacot

billjacot

United States

Hi Sally,

Swing for the fences is a baseball analogy. Many players while batting try to hit a homerun; hit the ball over the fence. So the phrase indicates giving 100% effort, going all out to do your best.

The creature in the field you ask about is called a “Scarecrow”. It is a man made of straw and placed in a cornfield to scare away the birds so they don’t eat the corn before harvest time. The most famous one of course would be in the movie “The Wizard of OZ.

An anal person is one who is extremely “neat”; has a fixation with neatness, tidiness etc. Someone that could be described as very meticulous. Hope all this helps. Any more, give me a call.

07:15 PM Apr 15 2004 |

sallyzou

United States

1. what is “D.N.R.”?
2. what does “whipped cream” refer to when the context is talking about bad economy and unemployment and job, etc.
3. what is “nobu”?
4. what is “snugli”?
5. “carrei is hell-bent on getting us together…” what is hell bent?
6. what’s the story of Punxsutawney Phil?

Thanks a lot!!

04:35 AM Apr 18 2004 |

billjacot

billjacot

United States

Greetings,

DNR means “Do Not Resuscitate”. Some individuals wear bracelets that have DNR engraved on them. This tells paramedics thast if they should experience heart failure, please do not revive them.

Hell Bent simply means “very determined”

Punxsutawney Phil is the name given to a ground hog.There is a German tradition, perpetuated in Pennsylvania, that if the ground hog comes out of his hole on February 2nd each year, and he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.It gives you some idea of some Americans preoccupation with the weather.

Your ref. to Whipped Cream, Nobu and snugli, I can’t help you with.

01:18 PM Apr 19 2004 |

billjacot

billjacot

United States

I tried to send this before. but it didn’t go through.
Swing for the Fences is a baseball analogy. It means to go all out, to give 100%,

The creature in the field you refer to is called a “Scarecrow”, commonly placed in the cornfields, it is a man made of straw and put in the field to scare away the birds so they don’t eat the corn.

Anal refers to someone whom is very meticulous, excessively so. In this sense, it is not deragatory, however it is a seldom used word in this context.

Hope all of this helps. Your friend, BILL

01:23 PM Apr 19 2004 |

billjacot

billjacot

United States

I have tried twice to send you a message explaining about swing for the fences, etc. but they keep rejecting my answer. I’m not sure why? If you want the answer, send me an email to :

01:25 PM Apr 19 2004 |

sallyzou

United States

Thanks a lot bill, and two more question,

1.what does “pun intended” mean?
2.My boss broke his leg, and he told us to sign on his casting and he said it’s an american tradition. really? and what’s the tradition for? it seems to me that we are making fun of this poor guy’s mishap.

sally

08:57 PM Apr 19 2004 |

billjacot

billjacot

United States

Greetings,

When you break an arm or a leg, they put your limb in a plaster cast. It’s a very hard piece of material that keeps your limb immobile so you don’t reinjure it. After it heals, they break the cast off. Often times it comes off in one piece. People rarely break a limb in their entire life, so when they do, and they get a plaster cast. They will often times have people sign it, much like you would sign the yearbook of a fellow student. It’s just a rememberance of a uniques event in your life, and something I guess some people like to save. Younger people, especially, get very creative in decorating them, and I will admit, it often times becomes a work of art.
I will get back to you later about your other question. Don’t have time now. But the actual phrase is “No Pun Intended”. First you will need to know what a pun is. But it’s a good question.

Later, your friend, BILL

11:14 AM Apr 20 2004 |