Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

agreement in subject and predicate

the water

the water

China

should we use “IS“or “ARE after “each of you”

foe example :“each of you __ responsible to the accident”

should use IS or ARE in the blanket

12:12 PM May 21 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

hmmm – The phrase “all of this car is” (with the two quotation marks) had about 2,000,000 results (and mostly written by “native speakers”) when I last Googled it. I think that the phrase may make sense depending on the context. Anyway, my point was to show how all could be used with singular and plural countable nouns.

http://www.google.lk/search?q=%22all+of+this+car%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=aJD&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=%22all+of+this+car+is%22&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=c8e3f4fa313d1270&biw=987&bih=561

08:46 AM Jun 07 2011 |

Pavlionka

Pavlionka

Belarus

tiffintime,
Well, I see your point. But I’ve also noticed that Google quotations for “all of this car is” are mostly from different forums. So there is a possibility that it is just some kind of special slang phrase, not a grammar rule. I just meant that this sentence doesn’t sound natural for me in this context.

Anyway, thanx for mentioning it  Smile

05:08 PM Jun 07 2011 |