Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

There's an argument : E-books or bookshops?? Let's start with it ! !

Odelette

Odelette

China

Hello everyone!
We are No.80 high school students and our group is doing a project which topic is about the role of the Internet. Specifically, the argument is: which is better, e-books or the books in bookstores? Our opinion is: E-books is better. Here are our reasons:
Reason 1: Saving space
E-books need not be stored on the device.In the space that a comparably sized print book takes up, an e-reader can potentially contain thousands of e-books, limited only by its memory capacity. If space is at a premium, such as in a backpack or at home, it can be an advantage that an e-book collection takes up little room and weight.
Reason 2: Convinience
Depending on the device, an e-book may be readable in low light or even total darkness. Many newer readers have the ability to display motion, enlarge or change fonts, use Text-to-speech software to read the text aloud for visually impaired, partially sighted, elderly or dyslectic people or just for convenience, search for key terms, find definitions, or allow highlighting bookmarking and annotation.
Now it’s your turn!! Which do you think is better? No matter if you’ve ever read an e-Book, you could give your own opinions about it. We can discuss togethter. Please join us and talk whatever you want! Thank you!!

06:20 AM Apr 23 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Doris==

India

uh…I think ebooks can cause eyestrain. Ebooks are read on a computer or special device that is viewed on a screen. The screen does not have the same type of resolution like print on paper has. So I prefer to bookshops.

07:49 AM Apr 23 2012 |

Simon &

Afghanistan

E-Books can cost money and require power.
It’s better to go to bookstores.

08:03 AM Apr 23 2012 |

Amber--

South Korea

I am agree with Doris. I also think ebooks are bad for our eyes. If we read paper books, it will notdamage our eyes. Second,though an e-reader can potentially contain thousands of e-books, there are also many academic books we can’t find in an e-reader. So I think paper books are better.
Tongue out

08:09 AM Apr 23 2012 |

Nina.Happy

Nina.Happy

China

Well, thank you Doris~:) But I think nowadays, paper books are much easier to cause eyestrain and they’re worse for people’s eyes than e-books. Many people especially young people always read books on bus, on bed or somewhere that has a poor light etc. However, e-book can deal with some of the problem. You can adjust the brightness and most also have “Eye mode” which can protect your eyes. Embarassed

08:35 AM Apr 23 2012 |

My **melody**

Algeria

i think  bookshops are better because i can read book directly and in any time without hurting my eyes and causing headache to myself,however ,i don’t find most of the books that i need  in bookshops ,unlike ; the ebooks ,i can find hundereds of book in the internet even the newest ones,that amazing and makes the ebooks interessting

07:08 PM Apr 23 2012 |

Nina.Happy

Nina.Happy

China

Hello Simon~ :D, Thank you for your reply~ Don’t you think that every books need cost money? Paper books also destroyed many many trees!! We need to do hard to protect trees, right?Surprised

12:45 PM Apr 28 2012 |

Nina.Happy

Nina.Happy

China

I’m glad to receive your message, Amber. I’ve already talked about your first idea(Bad for eyes) in the message to Simon. Do you agree with me? For your second one: there are many websites that have academic books available, like www.emuch.net and www.dianzishu88.cn and so on. You can download books you want and even discuss about the book on the websote’s forum. In this way, when you can’t find a book, you can ask for help~Smile

02:08 PM Apr 28 2012 |

Boongoo

China

Hi guys! I think E-books are better!
  Firstly I think it is modern. We are teenager and we should go with the tide, shouldn’t we?
  And I also think it can protect many trees! I love our Earth!
In addition, it is a easy way to keep some classics-something digitally can be stored easier than something on paper,right?  
Accordingly, I love E-books!

02:12 PM Apr 28 2012 |

Nina.Happy

Nina.Happy

China

Hi Boongoo!! How are u?! Thank you for your reply. What I want to say is that sometimes it’s not right to just follow the trend. We need to judge wether the thing is right to do or not. What do you think?

02:24 PM Apr 28 2012 |

Boongoo

China

Fine, thanks. You’re right. Many people told me as what you said, include my teachers~ Maybe I should consider it. haha Anyway, thank you~~ Nice to talk with you

02:35 PM Apr 28 2012 |