Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Is it important to have a good accent?

Brookebjerke

Brazil

What do you guys think? Is having a good accent important to you? Check out this article, if you’re not sure. 

http://voices.yahoo.com/learning-language-necessity-getting-good-11288324.html?cat=4

05:42 PM May 02 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

zhanni123

Germany

Isabel Marant Shop Isabel Marant Sneaker Isabel Marant Boot Isabel Marant Heel Isabel Marant Isabel Marant Sneakers Isabel Marant Boots

12:38 AM May 04 2012 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

Yep, I try to practice hard on my speaking because I don’t want people Keep asking ’’ what did you say’’ for over times, I don’t mind to speak slow , the important thing is I could speak clearly, I think sing along with English song can help a jot, any suggestion please!

10:55 AM May 04 2012 |

Brookebjerke

Brazil

That’s great! English songs are perfect for practice. I recommend the Beatles and Jason Mraz. They’re good because they sing very clearly.

12:24 PM May 06 2012 |

blue_night193

Viet Nam

Thanks to your post of this article. I did always thought that no need to have accent like a native speaker. but now i figure out how essential it is. 

02:31 PM May 06 2012 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

Yep, thanks Ms Brooke

04:03 PM May 07 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I love different accents, they add variety to the language. I think all sound good. I love mine, I wouldn’t trade it  for anything, I like it when people ask ” mmm, where are you from?” : )

04:14 PM May 07 2012 |

Brookebjerke

Brazil

That’s interesting! Snoopyboy, some people do like to keep a strong accent, and that’s ok. If despite everything in the article you still want to keep a strong accent with your country, there is  nothing wrong with that. In the end, it is all an individual decision.

03:50 PM May 10 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Hi Brooke,

Oh silly me!, I didn’t notice the yahoo link you’d posted. You took a stance and did you support it well :) . Your second and third point made me look at things from a different perspective now. Questions though,  can I lose my  foreign accent when I’m already that old?, Can’t Native Speakers be a little more considerate to foreigners?

04:33 PM May 10 2012 |