Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Capital I

kochin

Trinidad and Tobago

I have noticed that on this forum, many people keep using a common "i" for I.

Is there a particular reason for this? 

What is the word for "I" in your language and is it capitalised?

11:23 PM Sep 12 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Milena_

Milena_

Serbia and Montenegro

Yes, I :) notice that too
In my lenguage (Serbian) we say >>>ja<<< and it is without capital J

01:13 AM Sep 13 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

I think that a lot of the posts here are written in 'chat talk' instead of good English. Since many of the members are new to the language, it might be better if people would take that extra nanosecond and put caps where they should be. 

On the other hand, if you are using a keyboard that is in another language, maybe the shift key isn't the same. Does every language use caps? 

02:11 AM Sep 14 2007 |

kochin

Trinidad and Tobago

Yeah I thought of that. But then I went to an English Language forum just to make sure I am not being paranoid and more often than not they use a capital I. I think it is second nature to us, so we don't notice.

11:29 PM Sep 14 2007 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

I already asked English Teacher, She didnt know either. But I think (possibility) speaker or writer wanna show his/her ego (by using "I").

in my language (Indonesia) we use "saya" or "aku" without capital in first word. 

07:44 AM Dec 11 2007 |

Brian8

Brian8

China

Maybe there is someone who isn`t attention for that.

09:13 AM Dec 11 2007 |

VICKY

VICKY

China

that?

09:16 AM Dec 11 2007 |

yüksel

Turkey

it is interesting feature of english to write I with capital letter. In Turkish we say "ben" without any capital letters. Bu at the begining of sentences first letter starts capital "Ben".Sometimes in a hury I forget using shift.

11:35 AM Dec 14 2007 |