Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Grammar problems

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi all,

I am an English teacher working in Colombia and I have a question for the English learners.

What is the most difficult part of English grammar for you? (what gives you the most trouble, or is the hardest for you to remember?

08:28 PM Oct 27 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

me.you

me.you

India

may I?

02:51 PM Mar 24 2008 |

chandusss

India

hello

i am problem some english grammer how i wiil become aa fluntly speaker

04:02 PM Mar 24 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

"seem" (or "seems") could mean "appear to be" or "give the impression of being" or "is judged to be". Maybe a few examples could help: She seems to be younger than her husband, but actually she is older // This pen seemed cheap when I bought it, but my friend told me that it costs less elsewhere // Things are seldom as they seem, just when you expected them to make peace, they started another fight.

Hope that this does not seem to be as clear as mud! Undecided

"seam" (pronounced the same way) is the joining of two pieces of cloth or leather.

06:56 AM Jun 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

seem the  teacher had  gone 
Please stay calm until   he come back

Thank you, Ryo. You will make a good teacher's assistant.  :)

hemant4u, tiffintime offered a very good explanation and some good examples. I hope that helped you.  

10:17 AM Jun 11 2008 |

zygotic

zygotic

Malaysia

is it right after word "to" we must use a root words..if it true which the others words we must a root words after that..i'm sorry if u don't understand my language…i really hope u can help me..

10:53 AM Jun 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Ryo, I was just kidding a little. You were being very nice to ask people to wait for the teacher. 

But I don't think that only teachers can answer questions here. Most people on Ebaby are learners like you and everyone can help a little. If you know something you can share it and everyone can learn. 

12:15 PM Jun 11 2008 |

zygotic

zygotic

Malaysia

can u answer my question???

12:30 PM Jun 11 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

it's a hard job ,qkiss. you are really patient.

06:40 PM Jun 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

is it right after word "to" we must use a root words..if it true which the others words we must a root words after that..i'm sorry if u don't understand my language…i really hope u can help me..

zygotic.  It depends on how you are using "to"

If "to" is part of the infinitive of a verb, then yes, you only use what you are calling the base form of the verb.

I like to teach and to play golf.        

Learning to speak English is easy for some people.

(NOT   I like to taught         Learning to speaking    etc)

If you are using "to" as a prepositon, then you can follow it with other types of words, usually nouns or noun phrases.

Can you drive me to the supermarket? 

I'm driving to Cartagena next week.  

10:21 PM Jun 11 2008 |

abdurahiman

India

past perfect

06:13 AM Jun 12 2008 |