Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

whats the meaning of life?

lifegoeson

lifegoeson

Turkey

who knows about it?

01:02 PM Nov 01 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

John Murdoch

Chad

The meaning of life explained in less than 5 minutes?  What do ya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzQeur_-Xgw 

03:39 PM Nov 11 2007 |

singletine

singletine

China

I think everyone has their own idears,and I think it's not a simple question to talk about,in word, every moment,be active,and be optimistic about everything

09:37 AM Nov 12 2007 |

lifegoeson

lifegoeson

Turkey

life goes on ..life goes on..someone borns. someone dies….but everyone knows that its just beginning of being happy…......

08:41 PM Nov 14 2007 |

blue_dreams

Turkey

I think its happiness. we cant know how every1 can be happy? I think its personal.but everything is for the happiness; helping, relationships, married… and of course, the meaning of my life is happiness..

09:16 PM Nov 14 2007 |

rainstrs

rainstrs

Philippines

Life。 Some had lived it too long to the point that they don’t want to live it any longer。Some had it too short that they want to extend it a little longer。 Some had just lived a second, a minute, an hour,a day,a month, a year,a decade and a century。 Still some did not have a chance to see the world。

Life could be too long but too short to understand it’s meaning。 What is life? Is it the air we breath? Is it the blood that runs through our veins? Is it the beating of our heart? Is it the beautiful morning that we see each day?Is it the smile that we see on the face of every child we care? Is it the love  that we receive from our family, friends and neighbors? Is it the comforting feeling to know that we are not alone in this world, wishing for a better life?

What is a better life?

Well, I could just go on living until I find the reason。 One thing is certain, at the end of my day, I can answer that question。

01:52 AM Nov 15 2007 |

rainstrs

rainstrs

Philippines

keep on tryin’ pal。

05:37 AM Nov 15 2007 |

farazrocks

farazrocks

India

Many major historical figures in philosophy have provided an answer to the question of what, if anything, makes life meaningful, although they typically have not put it in these terms. Consider, for instance, Aristotle on the human function, Aquinas on the beatific vision, and Kant on the highest good. While these concepts have some bearing on happiness and morality, they are straightforwardly construed as accounts of which final ends a person ought to realize in order to have a significant existence. Despite the venerable pedigree, it is only in the last 50 years or so that something approaching a distinct field on the meaning of life has been established in analytic philosophy, and it is only in the last 25 years that debate with real depth has appeared. Concomitant with the demise of positivism and of utilitarianism in the post-war era has been the rise of analytical enquiry into non-hedonistic conceptions of value grounded on relatively uncontroversial (but not universally shared) judgments or “intuitions,” including conceptions of meaning in life. English-speaking philosophers can be expected to continue to find life's meaning of interest as they increasingly realize that it is a distinct line of enquiry that admits of rational enquiry to no less a degree than more familiar normative categories such as well-being, right action, and distributive justice.

This survey critically discusses approaches to meaning in life that are prominent in contemporary English-speaking philosophical literature. To provide context, sometimes it mentions other texts, e.g., in Continental philosophy or from before the 20th century. However, the central aim is to acquaint the reader with recent analytic work on life's meaning and to pose questions about it that are currently worthy of consideration.

When the topic of the meaning of life comes up, people often pose one of two questions: “So, what is the meaning of life?” and “What are you talking about?” The literature can be divided in terms of which question it seeks to answer. This discussion begins by addressing works that discuss the latter, abstract question regarding the sense of talk of “life's meaning,” i.e., that aim to clarify what we are asking when we pose the question of what, if anything, makes life meaningful. Then it considers texts that provide answers to the more substantive question. Some accounts of what makes life meaningful provide particular ways to do so, e.g., by making certain achievements (James 2005), developing moral character (Thomas 2005), or learning from relationships with family members (Velleman 2005). However, most recent discussions of meaning in life are attempts to capture in a single principle all the variegated conditions that confer meaning on life. This survey focuses heavily on the articulation and evaluation of these theories of what makes life meaningful. It concludes by examining nihilist views that the conditions necessary for meaning in life do not obtain.

06:09 AM Nov 15 2007 |

mujji

mujji

Pakistan

Sence

09:00 AM Mar 31 2008 |