Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

IDIOM games~~~

thisisbenmo

China

How many IDIOMS do you know? Let us write here and then make a sentence with the idiom.

get one up on sb. 

No matter what he did, I always managed to get one up on him.Laughing

11:03 AM Nov 12 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sara.Huo

Sara.Huo

China

the price of inaction is far greater than the cost of a mistake.

05:37 AM Nov 13 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

Hi, Nu Poqodi, What do you mean? Is attagirl a slang?

07:39 AM Nov 13 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

I wanna polish my English and  talk with natives, but natives talk with me once in a blue moon. Cry I don't know why. Poor me~!

07:43 AM Nov 13 2007 |

king2009

king2009

Kuwait

hi thisisbenmo

your game  is amazing,but it is better to define the idiom first  then write an example

11:00 AM Nov 13 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

Yes, King 2009. You are right. So let's begin with the idiom "once in a blue moon"

Once in a blue moon means very rarely.

Ok, it's your turn. Could you make a sentence with once in a blue moon?

11:37 AM Nov 13 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

Hi, Nu Pogodi. Do natives use idioms when writing essay? I wanna improve my written English, so I am planning to study IDIOMS. Is it useful?

03:13 AM Nov 14 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

How about phrasal verbs and adv.?

03:23 AM Nov 14 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

Hi, Nu Pogodi. Thank you. I've just bought a book about phrasal verbs from the bookstore. You know I am going to study Master of International Finance and Master of Professtional Accounting in Melbourne, so I think it is better to improve my written skills in advance. I wanna be the outstanding one in the class. Haw~! I am not sure how to write dissertation in English. Should I use a lot of written English in the dissertation? I can't distingush  written to spoken English? I thought idimos belong to written English and slangs belong to spoken English. Phrasal verbs are used in both written English and spoken English.

06:29 AM Nov 14 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

Should I have to use a large number of adverb in the dissertation? My English told that natives use a lot of adverb in their articles. Thank you for your help.Smile

06:34 AM Nov 14 2007 |

thisisbenmo

China

From A to Z (very thoroughly and in detail)

I don't know how to write dissertation in English because I am unable to tell written English and spoken English. Are there any native speakers who know it from A to Z? Help, I need your help, please.

Now it is your turn now.

06:56 AM Nov 14 2007 |