Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

level the playing field

level the playing field

Date: Oct 11 2007

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I see people everywhere without opportunity. I want to help level the playing field.”

- Actor Brad Pitt on what inspires him to be generous. (Parade Magazine)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

strive for fairness; give the same opportunities to all

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever tried to play soccer on a hill? It’s pretty easy to tell which team is going to win. Whoever gets to kick the ball downhill has an advantage.

Sometimes in life it feels like you’re kicking the ball uphill. People born into poverty have a lot harder time becoming successful than those born into wealthy families.

Brad Pitt and his wife Angelina Jolie give lots of money and time to charities. One of the main causes they support is the fight to end poverty. As successful actors, Brad and Angelina have a lot of money, so they are trying to help reduce the number of people who have nothing so that those people can become successful too. They’re trying to level the playing field when it comes to money.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“It’s important to level the playing field by giving all children a chance to go to college.”

“Government money can level the playing field for farmers when they have a bad year.”

“It can help to level the playing field when cities make the internet available to everyone.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

to make equal opportunities for everybody
by vivichalia
it means that you wanna help others and give them the same opportunity as others
by martingzh
Belizza to give everybody the same opportunities
by Belizza
It means to create a situation where everyone has the same opportunities
by o0oherzcheno0o
ammarfd it means that every one should be in a situation where he or she has the same opportunity.
by ammarfd
Sophie_Jia help them to get more opportunities???
by Sophie_Jia
help less fortunate people ,so the difference becomes less
by secondguess
It means help people because he wants everybody to have the same opportunities by sharing some of what he has got in life
by Mario Rodríguez
whitenoise to give people equal opportunities, rights.
by whitenoise
khadija_M to achieve equality between everyone , to get the same chances the same opportunities.
by khadija_M
to give everyone equal rights or same advantages and opportunities or fair competition.
by periwinkle.chic
give everyone the same opportunity equally on the same ground
by Chikako Honda
People from the under develop country, looking for an opputunity, to support them to match equally with the same hi tech world as enjoyed by the people of develop nation.
by jhalak
liru to establish policy and regulatory frameworks which create a fair competition.
by liru
equality of opportunity/chance for everyone/ participants. Fair share of opportunity, no disadvantage nor advantage to anyone.
by seabird2201
provide equal opportunities to all people
by wordsmith
I guess 'level the playing field' means to help some people get equal opportunities and rights as others.
by jeromeokot2006
Liliya-22 Level the playing field: to make rules of play (Life) are the same for everyone.
by Liliya-22
mertio give them equal chance
by mertio
it means "make things equal"
by priyanka_b77
katharsis to help people get their aims by providing equality.
by katharsis
Solana to give everybody equal opportunities
by Solana
give people the same chances
by Zhanna
3alloola make chances equal to everybody
by 3alloola
That means to open some opportunities for people who live in the poor countries or suuffer from their harsh environments to improve their current condition through denotion or other alternative ways.
by ruihua
Help give every one an equal opportunity
by Austinpowers
To level the playing field means that everybody can have the same opportunities, without any sort of discrimination.
by ginapinasco
to make equal chances for everyone
by Zuzanna
I think "level the playing field" means having equal opportunities with the others in terms of advantages and rights.thanks looking forward to your reply.
by advancement_in_english
cssanyi Give everyone the same chances, to reach their goals.
by cssanyi
even out the competition.
by Dr.pharaoh
to make all people equal, to put them in the same conditions, to give them egual opportunities
by look_closer

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Darlene

Darlene

China

it’s truly extremely hard to strike a balance.once you got some people rich enough, there’ll be more people falling into the poverty group….it’s always hard to balance…

04:21 PM Oct 18 2007 |

sagi27

India

allow everyone to stand on his feet and make the most of oppurtunies that come his way.

07:45 PM Oct 13 2007 |

wjlzlm

China

all people in the equal way of life and strive for opportunities properly

11:22 AM Oct 13 2007 |

christina_liu

China

Thanks for sharing this useful one!!

05:14 AM Oct 13 2007 |

zanabu

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Hello, Hopefully this mail will find you in a perfect state of mind and good healthy condition. While going through the site today, I came accross your profile which I personally find interesting and decided to drop you few lines just to say hi,I am looking for a long term relationship in a man of your kind who unerderstands the need to love and be loved. I have taken time to see the age difference us but this is really within my choice of age range and I have no problems with that. I sincerely find you and what I have read so far from your profile very interesting and I will like to know and hear more from you. Included here with this mail is my email address through which you can reach me. (zanabu_23zelly@yahoo.com) I really look forward to read from you soon. Thanks. Yours Truly Love miss Zanabu.

01:15 PM Oct 12 2007 |

shimin1212

shimin1212

China

i respect him,but it’s not enough.in fact,it’s really hard to change the unequal world~

01:37 AM Oct 12 2007 |

purples

purples

China

in some scenarios,that might means change the situaltion with fair rules and regulation for the induviduals and organizations, and most important is all should play with the rules and regulation.

03:50 PM Oct 11 2007 |

lindazhuge

lindazhuge

China

It’s repected that Brad Pitt help level the palying field.

02:42 PM Oct 11 2007 |

patricia_divina_velasquez

Philippines

an aim for equality

02:41 PM Oct 11 2007 |

Hally

Hally

China

I think it means everbody will on the same groud

01:47 PM Oct 11 2007 |

humanash

Philippines

“level playing field” t hink it means that u have to give a fair opportunities the people around us.

01:05 PM Oct 11 2007 |

Flying Fish

China

it’s not enough

09:03 AM Oct 11 2007 |

sahand

sahand

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i think that this phrase means that allow to every body be the best.

08:01 AM Oct 11 2007 |

power_xl

power_xl

Turkey

I’ve once heard the use “to level the ground”. I think both of them have the same meanings.

07:56 AM Oct 11 2007 |

rameez

rameez

Pakistan

To be a muslim,Now its my duty to rise one point which is applied all richers. In Islam ! Person which has money! He has to pay ZAKKAT (some money in the part of his/her money) for poor person.
So, If all world applied this rules which is provided by Islam then the LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD will be Equal for every one.

06:12 AM Oct 11 2007 |

naddito

naddito

Saudi Arabia

to achieve balance
its a good step if all rich people think in that way

05:03 AM Oct 11 2007 |

Likes (135):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo