Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Not on the Same Page

Not on the Same Page English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: May 27 2008

Themes: Romance, Soap Opera

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

One of the hardest parts about a having an argument with someone is the next time you see the person you fought with. You never know how he or she is going to act.

There are a lot of things you can do after a fight. You can forget it ever happened and continue as normal. You can pretend to forget while secretly harboring resentment. Or you can hold a grudge and stay angry.

After their first fight, Amanda and Mason are not on the same page.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amanda

Amanda

Mason

Mason

Amanda:  Hey, monkey, how are you? I’ve got all this great stuff! Check out this cutting board. We can cut vegetables on it and strawberries and dip them in chocolate, you know how you like it?

Mason:  Uh…um…is that what you were doing all day?

Amanda:  Satin sheets?

Mason:  Sheets?

Amanda:  Yeah.

Mason:  Is that, like, how you cope?

Amanda:  Plastic mattress pad too.

Mason:  I don’t understand. Wait.

Amanda:  What’s wrong?

Mason:  Are these, like, make up presents? I don’t get it.

Amanda:  For what? Did we have a fight?

Mason:  Uh, yeah! Remember? At the pizza parlor with you freaking out on me because Devan called me and I took her call.

Amanda:  I don’t think I was freaking out. I was mad because you took a call from another girl when we’re supposed to be exclusive.

Mason:  Yeah, from my friend, Devan.

Amanda:  Who’s in love with you and wants to be all up in here.

Mason:  That was like, a crush. There’s nothing going on with that and you flipped out. You went totally bonkers.

Amanda:  Are we just a crush?

Mason:  Are you seriously going there? Is that what’s happening right now?

Amanda:  I don’t know. I…

Mason:  I think you didn’t do enough time thinking about the situation. You just thought about your thread counts and…

Amanda:  I’m feeling like I kind of want to cut things with somebody else whose name rhymes with yours.

Mason:  Well, I’m hoping you got the receipts because that stuff’s totally overkill. We can’t afford it.

Amanda:  Really? OK. See ya. Text me later. Or not.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda arrives at Mason’s apartment and happily starts telling him about some stuff she bought for their new place. But Mason isn’t in a very good mood. He’s still upset about the fight.

But Amanda seems to have totally forgotten it. He has to remind her it happened. She still insists that he shouldn’t answer Devan’s calls and Mason still thinks it’s OK to talk to her. She is his friend, after all.

Amanda gets upset and says that she’s going to go try out her new cutting board with someone whose name rhymes with Mason…Someone who has a big crush on her.

Do you think Mason is justified or overreacting? Do you think Amanda really forgot about the fight or was she just pretending? Do you think she’ll really call Jason?

Comments

julito

julito

Argentina

I think that Mason is a total jerk.  Instead of making up with Amanda  and try  to show

his girl  that he really care for her . ( obviously she is overreacting over a petty  issue.)

Devan  making that phone call  made a  mistake . women don´t easily  accept a third 

party. 

09:02 PM Feb 24 2011 |

1 person likes this

soogle

Morocco

the person who said " love's hurt" was right….

one should gives space to his friend during the misunderstanding …

let's learn from our mistakes…...life goes on

01:48 AM Aug 27 2009 |

1 person likes this

green greener

United Arab Emirates

I think Mason should not speak with Amanda like this, even if she might forget their fighting. Maybe Amanda wants to make up their fighting by doing this, but it seems that Mason still harbor resentment. I hope Amanda and Mason will be on the same page again.

06:10 AM Jul 14 2009 |

twinky

twinky

Chile

I call my husband doggy "perrito" in spanish

02:49 AM Jul 14 2009 |

sdsretfmale

Saudi Arabia

whats up

01:10 AM Jul 13 2009 |

abdicm

Somalia

Garaad Jaamac Wasiirka Arimaha Gudaha ee Puntland

Madaxweynaha Dawlad Goboleedka Puntland Mudane Maxamuud Muuse Xirsi ayaa soosaarey wareegto uu ku magacaabayo Wasiirka Arimaha Gudaha ee Puntland, Wareegtadan oo Lanbarkeeda lagu sheegay 28 kuna mudeysan 28.July 2008da ayaa loogu magacaabey Cabdixamiid Garaad Jaamac Wasiirka Arimaha Gudaha.

CabdiXamiid Garaad Jaamac ayaa ah siyaasi ka soo jeeda Gobolka Sool horeyna u noqdey Wasiirka Arimaha Dibada ee Dawlada iskiid isu taagtey ee Somaliland.
Wasriikii hore ee shaqo jojinta lagu sameeyay muddo sii horeysey Dr. Cabdirashiid Barkhad Warsame ayaa wareegtadan loogu magacaabey Lataliyaha Madaxweynaha ee arimaha Gobolka Sool.

Wasaarada Arimaha Gudaha ayaa ahayd muddooyinkii u danbeeyay meel aan shaqo ka socon kadib markii wasiirkii hore ee wasaardu Axmed Cabdi Xaabsade uu u galay maamulka Somaliland, iyada oo wasiirkii la bedeley ee Dr. Cabdirashiid Barkhad Warsame lagu sameeyay shaqo joojin kadib markii hanaan socodka wasaarada uu soo galay khilaaf.

08:08 PM Jul 28 2008 |

laihoa

laihoa

Viet Nam

Loving is so complicated. Finding a right person is not easy, keeping that relationdhip long-last is even more difficult, a lot of challenger. Hope they could overcome and be a nice couple.

02:53 AM Jul 19 2008 |

bankngan

Viet Nam

I think Amada behave too serious in this problem. Because it talloly is not worth. Mason has talked out all the trues about the relationsive between he and Davant. So he doesn't lie. Also he have the right to call to his friends. It is his freedoom. So Amada should respect him and trust his love. Later on, in real live will have a seriuous problem will happen. At that time, should behave serious, because don't let your BF easy not respect you like that. Amada

10:18 AM Jun 14 2008 |

aliena

China

In my opinion, arguments between lovers are inevitable and good for their relationship. And also the effect depends on their temper and how far they have gone. It's a good way to learn the other's real thoughts. But usually the resolving way is not just out of fighting. it usually needs peaceful talk and maybe sometimes thinking seperately. And another point need to remenber is showing respect to the other, so i don't think Amanda's reaction is right, it to some extent shows that she is not confident about herself, and frequently mentioning Jason is also stupid.

09:32 AM Jun 02 2008 |

aliena

China

In my opinion, arguments between lovers are inevitable and good for their relationship. And also the effect depends on their temper and how far they have gone. It's a good way to learn the other's real thoughts. But usually the resolving way is not just out of fighting. it usually needs peaceful talk and maybe sometimes thinking seperately. And another point need to remenber is showing respect to the other, so i don't think Amanda's reaction is right, it to some extent shows that she is not confident about herself, and frequently mentioning Jason is also stupid.

09:32 AM Jun 02 2008 |

arielnana

arielnana

China

u know what..
most of women always like argument because they want to be attention..
but don’t u think that the man is too cruel???

10:08 AM Jun 01 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

Amanda is totally right and Mason’s being inconsiderate. I bet he’d react the same way if he were in her shoes. I hope he calls her back and they make up, cuz that’s what i’d expect from a guy to do in a case like that. If he cares, that is.

03:43 PM May 31 2008 |

TAHIR HUSSAIN

Pakistan

I'M AGREE WHIT BIG ID">MAQQIEWANDANDAN  THAT EVERY PAIR HAS LOT OF PROBLEMS AFTER WEDDING

ANDI THINK WE SHOULD FORGET VERY SOON BAD THINGS

11:45 PM May 30 2008 |

leminhkhanh

Viet Nam

verything will OK, I guess

03:35 PM May 30 2008 |

guiltylove

guiltylove

India

To be honest , Believe each other is very important! Amanda`s behavior like a child,beacuse she is worry about Mason! She love he!I think Mason is overreacting.Catholicity is very important to  a general man ! Mason haven`t good action to Amanda!

03:07 PM May 29 2008 |

ruanjable

ruanjable

China

Things in our world sometimes are really funny. Fights are always inevitable between people who are close to each other. I think Amanda and Manson will be much better after this fight, because fights between lovers are always like seasoning for dishes Cool

05:04 PM May 28 2008 |

1 person likes this

Sabom

Germany

Hopefully, Amanda has not forgotten the fight with Mason.Although it was not about a big problem, it would be better to talk about it, because problems like that make a relatinship stronger or defeat it.

If you don`t face the problem in the beginning, it will escalate and become a big problem, wich maybe destroys the couple.

So all in all, I think that they should talk together, but in another way, because in my oppinion, Mason has totally overreacted.

05:02 PM May 28 2008 |

fjoan

fjoan

China

I hope Amanda had forgotten last fight,and also Manson.

In my opinion,lovers should learn how to be magnanimous with each other.Don't hold the grudge or fight under hothead.

01:21 PM May 28 2008 |

aynaz

aynaz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

no way,amanda is trying for nothing,i dont think if mason interested in her,no he just passing time with her,he likes Devan i think.

11:32 AM May 28 2008 |

Xiang

Xiang

China

I don't think Amanda has forgotten the fight. But she seems to try her best to change the unhappy situation. She chose to forget it, which I don't think is a good way. They need a talk.

09:08 AM May 28 2008 |

Likes (56):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast