Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Superman Returns

Superman Returns

Date: Jul 26 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

After a six year absence, the Man of Steel returns to Metropolis to find that things have changed. The love of his life, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life and the people of Metropolis have learned to live without Superman.

Some things, however, have remained the same. Superman’s nemesis, Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) is still searching for a way to defeat Superman.

Listen to Erin and Mason share their opinions about the movie.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Erin

Erin

Mason

Mason

Erin:  Here’s the ultimate question.

Mason:  Yes.

Erin:  The super question.

Mason:  What is the meaning of life?

Erin:  What did you think of Superman?

Mason:  Oh, that’s better. That is, I mean, everyone’s talking about it. Okay, this is what I’ve been telling people.

Erin:  Okay.

Mason:  And it’s very well practiced. I really, really liked watching it.

Erin:  Okay.

Mason:  My experience in the theater was great. But, I mean, when I sit and think about it afterwards, there’s some things I can nitpick about, you know.

Erin:  I was left a little wanting, but I enjoyed it, as well.

Mason:  Yeah. I basically, like, walked out of the theater singing the theme song and, like, holding my arms up in the air pretending I could fly.

Erin:  Okay, I didn’t go to that extreme, but okay.

Mason:  You know, I was with some dork friends and we went to the first screening we could. I actually saw it down in L.A. at Grauman’s Chinese Theater. Alright, so let’s maybe talk about the movie. Did you like Kevin Spacey?

Erin:  Um, I usually like Kevin Spacey. I think he’s a really good actor.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Superman has always been steeped in American symbolism, from his red, white and blue tights to his commitment to truth, justice and the American way.

In Superman Returns, the writers and director recognized that Superman is now an international hero, and that he fights for “truth, justice and all that stuff” for everyone on the planet. With this in mind, they tried to portray Superman has a hero everyone can embrace.

Are you a fan of Superman? Who’s your favorite super hero? Do you think Superman could take Batman in a battle?

Comments

egudelci

egudelci

Turkey

they speaks so fast ,thinking that they have just limited time given to record and it just leads to confusion,and sound quality is not supoosed to be ,

07:58 PM Jul 30 2006 |

teddy008

teddy008

China

There is a hero !

03:51 AM Jul 26 2006 |

Likes (11):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace