Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Yard Sales

Yard Sales

Date: Dec 08 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the US, when people want to get rid of their junk for a little cash, they have yard sales. They put a sign up in their yard, maybe place an ad in the newspaper or on the Internet, and sell items they no longer have use for. Often people have yard sales when they are getting ready to move from one residence to another.

You can find good stuff at yard sales for cheap. People sell everything from clothes, dishes and books to CDs, furniture and art.

Listen to Emily talk about the phenomenon of yard sales.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Emily

Emily

Amanda

Amanda

Emily:  You want to hit up some yard sales this weekend?

Amanda:  Oh my God, I live for yard sales.

Emily:  Really? I haven’t, I haven’t been in quite a while. Have you, uh, have you been finding some good…

Amanda:  You’re missing out.

Emily:  ... good finds?

Amanda:  Yes. On Friday, Saturdays and Sundays, but the thing is, if you go after noon or 1:00, don’t bother. All the good crap is gone.

Emily:  Are you one of the people that sit with the newspaper and scope out the night before, circle the addresses where you’re going?

Amanda:  Um, no, but I do check craigslist the night before, or the week before, and whoever has a pretty decent ad or posting, I’ll check it out. And I’m looking for key items.

Emily:  This is, this is very popular in our culture. I know, I used to go a lot with my mom when I was younger…

Amanda:  So did I.

Emily:  And, um, I remember even, even, um, my grandma talking about how she used to go to yard sales a lot, like decades ago. I wonder if it’s, like, a really American thing to do or do they do it in other countries?

Amanda:  I think that it is an American thing to do and I think what’s nice is it’s, um, it seems to pass from generation to generation, like you said. Families do it because it’s free. Everyone can do it. It’s not like you have to make a certain income to enjoy a yard sale or a garage sale on a weekend.

Emily:  Right. Exactly.

Amanda:  You want to bring your kid, your husband, hit a yard sale.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda points out that yard sales take place on the weekend. Sometimes they start on Friday, but more often they start early Saturday or Sunday morning.

Emily used to go to yard sales with her mother when she was a kid. Her grandmother also went to yard sales.

Yard sales are called yard sales because people sell things in their front yards. Yard sales are also called garage sales because some people set up their sales in their garages.

Are there yard sales in your country?

Comments

dae han

North Korea

very american thing

02:21 AM Aug 31 2007 |

waleedmahmoud

Egypt

veryuseful

07:30 AM Dec 09 2006 |

Likes (20):

See all >