Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Therapy

Therapy

Date: Jan 05 2007

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

No one can deny that it’s healthy to express yourself. It’s better to talk about your problems than to drown your sorrows in alcohol or numb your feelings with drugs. When you’re going through something difficult, therapy can be a healthy way to get help with your problems.

It seems Americans have a reputation for being addicted to therapy. In a recent hit show The Sopranos, about an Italian-American Mafia family, even the crime family’s boss has a therapist.

Listen to Kevin and Emily talk about therapy in the US.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Emily

Emily

Kevin:  You know Americans have this reputation as, like, obsessed with going to therapists. Do you agree with that?

Emily:  I guess I never really thought about it, um, but it definitely makes sense. It’s kind of everyone’s solution to all of their emotional problems, or really, all of their problems, like, “Oh, you should go talk to a therapist.”

Kevin:  Yeah.

Emily:  Although I have gone to therapy, I must admit, and I did find it quite helpful.

Kevin:  You know, I don’t think I’ve ever met… that’s not true… I’ve met very few people who didn’t find it helpful. I mean, so there’s obviously some benefit to it you know, even if it’s a…

Emily:  Certainly.

Kevin:  ... clinical placebo. And you’re considering going into family therapy, right?

Emily:  Yes. Yes. I want to become a marriage and family therapist. Um, it’s really interesting though, because when I was researching schools in the US, I found that it’s much easier to get into school in the psychology field... into grad school in the psychology field… in the US than it is in any other country. Maybe there’s, you know, they make the restrictions aren’t, aren’t as tight here in the US, so there’s, like, a plethora of therapist running around…

Kevin:  Well, there are a lot of therapists, yeah.

Emily:  And then, all these people who feel like, “Oh, there’s all these therapists here for a reason so we might as well utilize them and go see them.”

Kevin:  Interesting.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Emily wants to become a therapist for families and couples.

Kevin believes that therapy can be very beneficial.

Maybe Americans have more problems than other people. Europeans have shorter work weeks and more vacation time. Perhaps, as a result, they have less stress in their lives.

Have you ever been to therapy?

Comments

magic1015

magic1015

China

oh sick

i have been to theray in my college when i was a freshman ,u know what , not for homesick ,just  i always harbor the hatreds towards the society ,ppl ..

anyways ,finally ,the Dr only  pointed that i m a little selfish to my parents , oh wow . she suggested that i should do more housework actively , LOL ,i am still a little confused about the relation between the rebelious youngster and the housework .lol

03:48 PM Jul 28 2008 |

soo16

soo16

Qatar

nice lesson

12:08 AM Jan 07 2007 |

waleedmahmoud

Egypt

very good

05:53 PM Jan 06 2007 |

Everwelwisher

Pakistan