Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

slammed

slammed

Date: Sep 25 2003

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I’ve always been up on the latest movies, but the last couple of months I’ve been so slammed. I’m like, ‘Oh I want to see these movies,’ and then they’ve come and gone.”
- Stacy Orrico, singer, talking about movies.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

extremely busy, not having enough time to get everything done, having many responsibilities, unable to do some things because too busy with others, having so much to do that one cannot get it all done, overwhelmed with work

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

You can use “slammed” to describe a situation in which you have way too much to do. For example, if your friends want to go to a party, but you have to study for an important test, you could say that you’re too “slammed” with school work, so you’re not going to be able to go out. A person who is “slammed” has to make choices because s/he is unable to do all the things s/he wants to do.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””Dude, I would love to go to the movies with you, but I can’t. I’m slammed at work right now. I have a big project that I have to finish by Friday.”“

””Everyone in math class is totally slammed right now because we have an important test tomorrow.”“

””I have been so slammed for the past few months. I just haven’t had time to see any of my friends. Hopefully, I won’t be so busy next month.”“

””I realize that you’re slammed, but I don’t care. You have to come with us to have dinner with your grandmother. You don’t have a choice. Be there at 6:00!”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Overwhelmed/ very very busy. I have been trying to see the movies, but I’ve been so overwhelmed with other concerns such as work, school, etc
by Atefeh (Rasht, Iran)
Busy, Preoccupied, Pressed for time.
by srikanth (Bangalore, India)
I think ’’slammed’’ means very busy and don’t have any time.
by oyuntsetseg (Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia)
When someone is slammed, s/he is snowed under; s/he is swamped with her/his things and can’t take a rest or break.
by André (Sorocaba, Brazil)
It means ‘very busy’ She is so busy that she is behind movies.
by Yukiko (Saitama, Japan)
I guess ‘slammed’ means busy.
by Denise (Kedah, Malaysia)
Too occupied; having no time to do something one usually does.
by Dan (Milwaukee, USA)
Slammed-busy
by Monica (Jackson, USA)
It is something like “you don’t have energy to do nothing”
by salerno (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil)
“Be slammed” here means she has been shutted and away from the movies for a couple of months, missed the chance to check them out.
by Sherry (ShenZhen, China)
Here “slammed” means that without interest and excitement in sth. especially the thing that used to be delight with.
by Carrie (Shanghai, China)
I always thogut slam mean to criticize but here seems to have back luck or being late for something.
by Marce (Antofa, Chile)
Slammed means unstable to something or change one’s mind quickly.
by Rose (Taipei, Taiwan)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

clemmie

clemmie

Canada

In school, I was always slammed, but someone was not. Therefore,  the time management skill is very important, especially for one like me do not want to miss movies and shopping…

08:28 PM Aug 12 2009 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast