Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra

Date: Sep 09 2009

Themes: Hobbies

Grammar: Verbs with "-ing"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

As long as there have been toys, little boys have made them fight each other. In the 1960s, G.I. Joe changed toys forever. Suddenly toy soldiers could move! You could make them walk, crouch, wrestle, hold weapons and more. The action figure was born.

In the 1980s, the G.I. Joe line of toys was adapted into a popular cartoon show. And recently it has become a feature film, G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra. But the movie is no child’s play. It includes an accelerator suit that can turn you into a superman and a battle to (what else?) save the world from nuclear destruction. Both Mason and Dale grew up on G.I. Joe. Listen to them talk about how they feel about this new stage in Joe’s career.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dale

Dale

Mason

Mason

Dale:  I have to tell you, Mason, G.I. Joe, I’m so excited about it. I grew up with G.I. Joe. I know all about G.I. Joe. I can’t wait to see the movie.

Mason:  Dale, here’s the thing. I know I’m with you on this, man. We are children of the ‘80s. G.I. Joe…

Dale:  Transformers...

Mason:  All these things. They’re just stealing them from us. It’s like taking all that credibility. It’s like if you were to take all the money out of your retirement account like now. It’s too soon. It’s the wrong decision. ‘Cause I saw it, right? I was in your shoes.

Dale:  You were excited before you went in?

Mason:  I was giddy is how I was.

Dale:  That’s where I’m at right now. I have G.I. Joe action figures. Those are my favorite toys in the world. I remember watching the trailer on TV and I was like, “I gotta go see it!” I actually stopped what I was doing and I was like, “No way! G.I. Joe is coming out!”

Mason:  Yeah. It’s just…it’s big and loud, it’s a big action blockbuster, but they didn’t really hold on to the spirit. Your favorite people are there. Snake Eyes is there and whatnot. But there’s no way they can make up for quite literally the cartoonishness of the original. And now you know, Dale.

Dale:  And knowing is half the battle.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Verbs with "-ing"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dale could not be more excited that there is now a G.I. Joe movie. But Mason saw the movie and says it’s not as good as he had hoped. It doesn’t have the same spirit of the cartoons and the famous toys that inspired them. All the characters are there, but it doesn’t feel the same.

Mason feels the same way about the recent Transformers movie. It’s like everything he loved as a kid is being redone, but he always likes the older version better.

What was your favorite toy as a kid? Has anything from your childhood been brought back recently?

Comments

rsjackson

rsjackson

South Korea

It's a tremendous movie, isn't it?

06:35 AM May 15 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Yes,all the super heroes movies and toys movies are from my childwood,I adore all of them ;)

12:26 AM Sep 18 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Which guy didn't play with GI Joe?! hehe I loved to play with it :) And I was knowing about the movie I was really excited :)

I love movies with fantastic special effects and GI Joe is awesome,like Transformers…All of them are from my childwood ;)

12:25 AM Sep 18 2009 |

Aglaya

Aglaya

Ukraine

Barbie was my favourite toy and I still like itEmbarassed

08:36 PM Sep 13 2009 |

Dabren

Dabren

Mexico

My favorite toy when i was a child ??? ... mmm i think the ponys!! he he he …

06:07 PM Sep 13 2009 |

Manu4

Manu4

El Salvador

comic movies are cool!

05:37 PM Sep 12 2009 |

Umi

Umi

China

i like cartoo,so i like it!!

very good,it make me happy!!i dont want to grow up!!

07:58 AM Sep 12 2009 |

Manu4

Manu4

El Salvador

All of us had several toys for be happy. My favorite were action figures and spaceships

12:08 AM Sep 11 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

I can say that Barbie`s doll was my favorite toy when i was a little girl, actually i played with them till 13 or 14,i cant forget what i felt when i got from dad my first original barbie i used to play dollshouse with my sisters or friends and it was always fun those times, to make clothes for them and i felt like i was really the barbie while i was playing with it. they are so elegant and pretty, my favorite doll ever.

10:00 PM Sep 10 2009 |

Miss Monroy

Mexico

Yeah the movie is very good, a lot of action. And the actor is so hot. Was great.

07:55 PM Sep 10 2009 |

eunicebsg

Dominican Republic

i watched the movie and i liked it

04:45 PM Sep 10 2009 |

joevan

China

i like the movie,it was great!

02:20 PM Sep 10 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

hot or cold?

01:18 PM Sep 10 2009 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

:S never heard about that..

01:15 PM Sep 10 2009 |

Fernandinha

Brazil

I am a child of the ‘80s and G.I. Joe was boy's thing. But I remember he was very famous . I don't see the movie yet but I am going to watch it. About my childhood, my favorite toy as a kid was Barbie. I had a collection of this doll.

04:12 PM Sep 09 2009 |

Manu4

Manu4

El Salvador

Well i never watched G.I. Joe, but i guess if there are a lot of fans, i must be a good cartoon

04:02 PM Sep 09 2009 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i grew up on G.I. Joe .. my brother and i had a bunch of them , to us G.I. Joe were the action figure better in the world , jejeje.

saludos.

03:33 PM Sep 09 2009 |

Futuristic

Futuristic

Philippines

I had watched that movie 2 weeks ago and I like it very much !

12:27 PM Sep 09 2009 |

Naomi1010

Naomi1010

Taiwan

Haha!Anyway, he’s really HOT!!

11:42 AM Sep 09 2009 |

L_a_d_a

L_a_d_a

Ukraine

The film is for big baby boys

07:15 AM Sep 09 2009 |

Likes (16):