Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Using the Library

Using the Library

Date: Dec 07 2001

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Hi Everyone!
We had a request on the message board for information on how to use some of the different machines and resources a library provides. Thank you very much for this idea, I am glad that we can be of help to you!
Below is some general information on how to use the library!

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Your school or city library can be a wonderful resource! If you are a student at a school, you qualify for a library card at the school’s library. If you have proof that you live within a city’s limits, you can also receive a city library card for free!
You need to have a library card to borrow or “check out” a book from the library. You can take the book home and read it. When you are done reading the library book you have to return it to the library. If you return the book later than the day it is due back at the library, you may have to pay a fine.
Most libraries have a wide selection of magazines and journals for you to use as well. They are called, “periodicals.” You can check out most periodicals just like you would check out a library book.
Some books are for research and cannot be checked out. These books are called reference books. You can use reference books while you study at the library. If you don’t know what book you need, the librarian will help you.
Libraries are not only a place for books. You can also use copy machines, computers and connect to the Internet at most libraries.
Ask the librarian for help if you want to use a computer. If you want to use the copy machine, you will have to pay. Each copy costs about twenty cents. Different libraries have different systems, but you can usually pay with change or by using a copy card. You should only buy a copy card if you are going to make many copies.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I hope the above information is useful! If you have any further questions about how to use the library, please come to the Life Goes On message board and ask me! I am happy to help you!
The people who work at Libraries are there to help you access all of the resources the library has to offer. Never worry about asking the librarian for help.
A good way to ask for help is to say:
“Excuse me, could you help me please?”
Then you can continue talking to the librarian, explaining what you need help with. Here are some examples:
“I would like to make some copies.”
“I need to find information on the state of Texas for my report.”
“Where can I connect to the Internet to do research?”
Good luck, have fun, and remeber to check back in next week for another Real Life Lesson! Please write us in the Life Goes On message board if you liked this lesson or have ideas for a Real Life lesson.
Your Friend,
Tanis

Comments

rebecca cao

China

library is really iimportant in our daily life.

06:50 AM Jan 10 2008 |

luoyinguangff

China

yea,i think so

01:17 AM Jan 06 2008 |

veyra.bodden@yahoo.com

Honduras

holaaaaaaaaaaaaaLaughing

04:48 PM Dec 17 2007 |

jenny217

jenny217

China

this lesson is very helpful for me!in China,the rules are the same .you can use a computer to look for the book you need for free,but you have to pay if you want to read the digital resources.for 1.5YUAN per hour,it is cheaper than in net BAR.the libraian likes a guide who will help you patiently.good luck with you all.

04:38 AM Dec 02 2007 |

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast