Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

San Francisco

San Francisco

Date: Feb 19 2004

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

I live in Portland, Oregon, which is a relatively small city. I recently spent a week in San Francisco – which is a big city. It’s not as big or New York or LA, but it’s definitely a lot bigger than Portland. I really enjoyed my time in San Francisco and I’ve got some recommendations for anyone who plans to visit in the future.
Read on to find out how to best take advantage of your time in San Francisco (or any big city in the U.S.).

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

If you’re visiting an American city, you should take advantage of the public transportation systems. San Francisco has both a light rail train and an extensive bus system:
BART www.bart.gov
BART is an easy, convenient and inexpensive way to travel around the Bay area. BART goes to both the San Francisco airport and the Oakland airport, and connects several of the cities that border San Francisco, such as Berkeley, Richmond and Fremont. Fares range from $1.25 to $4.00.
MUNI www.sfmuni.com
BART is good if you’re going from town to town in the Bay Area, but if you just want to get around the city of San Francisco, you should take a MUNI bus. MUNI will take you to every corner of the city and every place in between.
In order to take advantage of all the fun things there are to do in San Francisco, you need a good guide. There are many different kinds of guides. Here are the three I used:
Lonely Planet www.lonelyplanet.com
The Lonely Planet guides are my favorite travel guides. I’ve used them to travel across Europe and throughout Japan. The Lonely Planet San Francisco guide will help you find good places to see, stay, eat and drink.
Flavorpill sf.flavorpill.net
Flavorpill provides a weekly email newsletter that contains information about lots of exciting cultural events in the city. There’s no better way to stay on top of all the coolest films, performances and parties.
The Guardian www.sfbg.com
The San Francisco Bay Guardian is an alternative weekly newspaper. When I was in San Francisco, I read lots of good articles in the Guardian and learned a lot about what was going on in the city culturally, politically and artistically.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

San Francisco is an amazing city! If you haven’t been there yet, I hope you get a chance to visit someday soon. If you’ve already been there, I hope you get to go back soon. And if you’re there now, have a great time!
Have a great week!
Your American Friend,
Miguel

Comments

omoh7777

United States

Surprised

06:45 PM Jul 22 2009 |

MartinGermany

Germany

San Francisco is a nice city. I was 3 times in SF. My hotel was in Concord. That is only a few minutes from SF Downtown. For travel i used the bart or the car. In SF is also a german Restaurant. http://www.schroederssf.com/ I was not there but at the next trip I will go in.

08:59 AM Sep 03 2007 |

1 person likes this

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: